6.19.2009

Friday randomness: desiring to be a Godly woman


   Over the last few years I have been asked a question by younger ladies that I have a hard time answering. "What does it mean/look like to be a Godly woman?" That seems like a pretty simple question, right? But it's a little like trying to teach the violin. Playing the violin comes so naturally to me that I have a hard time explaining to someone else what I'm doing! The one time I tried to teach I spent a lot of time saying "watch what I'm doing - and imitate it!" Needless to say, after a few months I explained to the girls mother that they deserved to have a teacher who could actually teach! But, as I stop to think about - that is exactly what being a Christian woman should be like! It should come so naturally to me that I say, "watch what Jesus is doing - and imitate it!" Today I want to answer that question, "How can I be a Godly woman?" My words are insufficient to explain ... but God's words say it all. Here is a "To - Do" list from Thessalonians...
  • "It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality" 1 Thess 4:3
  • "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands" 1 Thess 4:11
  • "Let us be alert and self - controlled ... putting on faith and love as a breastplate and the hope of salvation as a helmet" 1 Thess 5:6,8
  • "Encourage one another and build each other up" 1 Thess 5:11
  • "Live in peace with each other" 1 Thess 5:13
  • "Encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone" 1 Thess 5:14
  • "Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else" 1 Thess 5:15
  • "Be joyful always;pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" 1 Thess 5:16
  • "Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt" 1 Thess 5:19 - 20
  • "Test everything. Hold onto the good" 1 Thess 5:21
  • " Avoid every kind of evil" 1 Thess 5:22
  • "Stand firm and hold on to the teachings..." 2 Thess 2:15
  • "Never tire of doing what is right" 2 Thess 3:13


"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you."
2 Thessalonians 3:16


For more randomness this Friday visit Andrea here.

15 comments:

"Rachel" said...

These are some of my favorite passages! I LOVE 1 & 2 Thess. And I like how you applied it to godly women. So many women revert to Prov 31 but this is a gold mine of knowledge!

Andrea said...

I'm with Rachel. This was a beautiful post!

3 Blessings said...

This is beautiful Lauren. Thank you for sharing. I hope you don't mind, but I would like to share it with the youth in my Sr. High Sunday school class. Thank you for your constant reminders to look to HIM.
Amy

Hope said...

Dear Lauren,

I have been meaning to get over here ever since seeing your kind comment on my blog last night and seeing your sweet smile on my “Followers”; I just want to tell you how happy you make me that you would consider me a “wonderful blog friend”.

The love of Jesus shines through your writing. I am thankful to be able to have contact with you through blog-land. I hope to be an encouragement to those who come my why. My focus is to delight in the Lord in whatever I do and say.

Thank you for your fellowship.

♥Hope

Ginger said...

Beautiful thoughts. Beautiful post.
Ginger

Hope said...

Now to comment on this wonderful post…

Lauren, this is a good subject to write about, what a virtuous post and such a good selection of scriptures.

I would not call you an “aged” woman (just so you know I do not think you are THAT old), but I would say you are aged enough to be a good example to younger women. I truly believe that younger women need the example of other women, older than they, for instruction on how to be a godly woman. I do not think a man can teach this, at least not as well; it must come from the lives of women who are living after God’s principles.

Titus 2:3-5
The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.


♥Hope

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I, too, desire to be a godly woman. As I peruse the list you and the Apostle Paul have offered today, I think "leading the quiet life" is something I need to work on, among many others. I find it helpful to single out something and work hard at it to "mine" its worth until I better have an idea of what God is after.

A quiet life pertains both to the externals and internals that flood my day. I think it also speaks of contentment with a simple life. So often I'm "on stage", whether at home, at church, or when leading a group. I need the pleasure of simply being in God's company where the only stage in sight is the one he graces!

Great thoughts, Lauren. So glad to be getting to know you, post by post.

peace in your weekend~elaine

crittyjoy said...

this is so powerful. Watch what Jesus does and imitate it...and the verses. A wonderful reminder.

Thank you for this Lauren :)

Happy Weekend!

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

What a great description--and walking straight through Thessalonians too!! That is such a powerful analogy--teaching someone by imitation! Wow. It definitely makes me want to follow my Jesus all the closer!!

Thank you for such a lovely post!

Faith Imagined said...

I love this list! It is disappointing how much the secular standards of a praiseworthy woman differs from God's standards.

Hope said...

Thank you dear Lauren, for stopping by Manuela’s blog to say “Hello”, I think she really appreciated it. :)


♥Hope

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Lauren,

Thanks so much for the sweet comments and the follow today. I so enjoyed my stop over here at your place too. You have a heart for Jesus that is contagious. And I am headed not to follow you...as you follow Him!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

...oops I meant to say, "I am headed over now to follow you as you follow Jesus!"

Goodness, my fingers are not behaving on my keyboard today.

Alicia said...

Wonderful post, Lauren! Lots of wisdom for young gals!!

alihsee said...

A great 'to do' list! :)

Blessings as you head into this coming week! Gorgeous blog design, by the way!