6.08.2009

making your home sing monday!


As a matter of fact, I am not in my own home this Monday. Hubby and I are visiting family and interviewing for jobs this week. This Monday I am in my in-laws home. I consider it home for a number of reasons.

My wonderful husband grew up here - he was an infant, toddler, child, teen, and young man in this home. He grew as a person and as a christian under this roof. Given that my husband and I are one ... this is my home too!

Also, when I was in college I lived just a couple blocks away from this house. I met John when I was a sophomore, and even though he was away at a different college, the door to this home was always open to me. My in - laws gave me a key to the house and I would come do school work, take a nap, eat lunch, take the dog for a walk, or whatever else I wanted to do. It was a refuge for me. A place to go that was separate from school, friends, and roommates!

I became a born again Christian the spring John and I were dating. Therefore, I grew in Christ's love in this home. I learned from my mother - in -law. I read devotions and Bibles on these bookshelves. John and I prayed together for the first time in this home. I became me - the "God version" of myself during times spent in this home. I have experienced the spirit of God in this home.

I got engaged in the backyard of this home!! The day after Thanksgiving John led me toward the back of the house where there was a path of candles, a tree with white lights, soft music and a single chair. He sat me down ... knelt down... and asked me to be his wife. After long minutes of crying and holding, we raced inside this home to share the great news with my in-laws (who already knew what was happening).

This house is my home too! It is my home through love. Therefore, while I am here this Monday I will make my home sing by being filled with joy. I will greet everyone with a smile. I will laugh, talk, pray, and enjoy the presence of family. I will help my mother in law with dishes, cooking, laundry, and anything else I can do! I will not bicker, grow frustrated, or do anything to cause discord in the family. This home will sing with love today!!

"Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!"
Psalm 32:11



To join in to make your home sing monday ... visit momstheword

13 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

What precious memories!!!

I actually became a Christian shortly after dating my husband also! :)

MyJourneyBack said...

What a beautifully sweet post. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories. How Blessed you are to have wonderful in laws.
And how precious that God revealed himself to you there what a wonderful memorance you have.
Thanks for sharing and Have a Blessed week.
Sherry

Alicia said...

That was beautiful!!

That's how I am w/ my in-laws. Even though they sold the house that my husband grew up in, I feel as comfortable in their home as I would my own parents.

Erin said...

How bless you are with your in-laws. I love this story...happy Monday at your home-away-from-home.

momstheword said...

I'm so excited you are joining us today!

What a beautiful story! My inlaws are with the Lord now, but they made me feel very welcome in their home when I was dating my husband. In fact, I used to go visit them when my then-boyfriend (now hubby) was out of town!

They showered me with love too.

I love your post and how we can make our homes sing by our attitude, our smiles, and showing love! Thank you for joining and I was able to add your link.

Have a lovely visit, my friend!

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

What a great family in-love! And such precious memories. I absolutely love my husband's family, too. I was saved at a young age but my home life was pretty dysfunctional and my hubby's family have really exemplified a Godly marriage, and a Godly home for me. I just love 'em.

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

I just have to say that I think it is incredible that you took in 2 yr old foster boys for a time. My heart breaks just thinking about the millions of children without homes or in terrible family situations. God bless you for being his heartbeat.

Hope said...

Hello Lauren,

Reading this brought tears to my eyes…what a beautiful story!

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment. I love your blog button, so I have put it on my blog.

I will be visiting you often.

♥ Hope

Hope said...

Dear Lauren,

Did you make your own blog button?

Where in California did you live?

♥ Hope

"Rachel" said...

What a wonderful testimony. Count your blessings; not all of us are blessed with such wonderful in-laws. I imagine they are an absolute treasure to you!

冠智 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
冠智 said...

Wow, what an amazing testimony, I am so glad that God makes you and your family and in-law family so lovely.
Reading your weblog is like reading God's novel, He writes down the life of every single one of us.
In Christ's love
Kuan-Chih

Mocha Momma said...

What a nice thing to say about your in-laws. What a great relatonship you must have. Have a fun time there.

I just visited your blog tonight via My Hope Is In The Lord.

I'll be following you. Have a nice summer.
Nannette