7.28.2009

God is FAITHFUL!



Okay, yesterday I said I would tell you all about our send - off from our chapel family. However, I realized that I never got around to actually telling the story of how everything worked out for us to move. I figured this out after an email to my Grandma who said "I didn't realize you sold your house!" WOOPS! Everything has happened so fast and it's just been a whirlwind. I can't keep track of who I've told what information! So... here's the story from top to bottom! (condensed of course)


John and I had been living a quiet, steady, secure life in Lexington, Va for the last 4 fours. In September John came home from church (I was recovering from surgery and wasn't with him)and told me that he felt that it was time for him to go to seminary. This wasn't a huge shock because I had known for a long time that he would eventually do this. The timing was a bit of a shock, though! I prayed along with John and felt the Lord's call on our lives to make this move. So, we forged ahead and began our search for schools. In a number of ways the Lord made it clear that John was to attend Regent University in Va Beach. So, we scheduled a visit with the admissions office right after Christmas.

The appointment was incredible! We left feeling such a confirmation that we were walking in God's will for our lives. John applied to the School of Divinity and was accepted just a few weeks later. When we got the acceptance letter we made an appointment with a realtor and put our house on the market. This was in early February. We also fine tuned our resumes and started applying for jobs.

February came and went... then March was gone... then April... then May... then we found ourselves in early June. School starts for John in August. Just in case you haven't been following I will spell it out for you: We were 8 weeks from August and NOTHING HAD HAPPENED! No jobs, no selling of the house, no living arrangements. All we had to hang on to was the fact that God had called us to seminary and we KNEW we were in His will. We had nothing at all to hang on to except the faith and hope that God would be faithful to us, as he always had been before.


I think that's exactly where He wanted us. Completely and totally dependant on Him. Completely empty of ourselves. Not walking forward because everything had come together in a timely manner, but walking by faith. Going forward regardless of what it looked like on the outside. Following Him no matter what!


So, it was a Tuesday morning in mid-June when John broke down in his office. He felt completely overwhelmed with the responsibility of providing for me, but realizing that in a matter of weeks he would have no way to do that. He got up form his desk and walking 100 yards to the chapel. Once inside he literally cried to God. My precious husband just bawled his eyes out and begged God for help. After he was done he sensed that God was telling him to fast. He hadn't had breakfast yet that day and so he skipped lunch and told me about the morning when he got home. He fasted for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Thursday evening he found me in the kitchen and said he felt that he was done fasting. (I asked him if he felt that way because I was making myself dinner! haha) He went and prayed about it more, then came back and said that he had a huge peace about it and that he was supposed to be done fasting. It was weird to us because nothing had happened. No prayers had been answered. ... Or so we thought...
Friday someone made an offer on the house, Saturday the contract was final, Sunday John was asked to interview for the Youth Pastor position which would provide salary, health insurance, and free housing in the parsonage. BAM BAM BAM --- yes, feel free to fall prostrate on your face and praise God! That's exactly what I did that Sunday afternoon!

The past 5 weeks have been a flurry of God's blessings. As an added hug from God, He provided a job for me at Regent that is so perfect for me that I couldn't have even dreamed it up myself! AND, after I have been working here a year - John gets 75% off tuition! (I understand if you need to get on your face again!)

So here we are at the end of July. We've moved down to Va Beach. I am in my 3rd week of work. John starts his job as the Youth Pastor next Monday, and starts classes on August 24th. We move into our home on August 15th (did I mention that it is right behind the church, and right across the street from Regent??) Yes, God is GOOD!!!

Now you have all the information in a Reader's Digest version! Isn't God WONDERFUL??? He is so faithful to us. It wasn't easy. He made us sweat a bit. He stretched and pulled us in ways we hadn't been tried before. BUT, in His perfect timing He made it all come together. We are ready for this adventure called seminary!


"For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.... Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands."

Deuteronomy 7:6,9


image signature

19 comments:

Denise @ A Sacred Longing said...

I am awed once again by our God!

How can we not praise Him?!

Shalom,
Denise

Lucy Marie said...

What an amazing testimony!

3 Blessings said...

This is a beautiful testimony. I am so happy for you two! PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!
Can you see the big smile on my face? :)
Amy

Hope said...

Well, PRAISE THE LORD!

Dear Lauren,

Thank you for the details of how this all worked out; I was wondering because I was missing some pieces.

God is AWESOME and GOOD! His timing is perfect, and yes, I believe He wants us to realize none of it is our doing and all the glory belongs to Him. He is our provider in whom we need to trust.

Your story of His provision is encouraging! Thanks!
♥Hope

Alicia said...

Lauren..I got the chills just reading this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are blessed beyond measure, my friend!!

Michele said...

His timing is perfect isnt it? Im so happy for you all. God is Good.

kiddrev said...

So great to get the "back story" on your arrival. We're so happy to have you and John! Welcome to your new home...you've already enriched it by your faith and enthusiasm.

Amber said...

I'm so glad to hear about the ways God is working and blessing you. I would really like to talk with you more about your experience with foster parenting. Email me sometime and tell me more about how your got into that and if you had a positive experience with it. amberbenge@att.net

God bless you!!! :)

Mocha Momma said...

Hi Lauren, before I forget I want to give you the Kreativ Blogger Award. Come over to my blog to see why I chose you.

I'll go back and read your post now. have a great day.

Nannette

Mocha Momma said...

I have chill bumps...that happens when the Holy Spirit moves around. What a testimony of the faith you and John have.

I am blessed to read your blog everytime I come here.

God is so good and there is no doubt, but He certainly can stretch us can't He? Whew!!

I'm so happy for you both. Every detail perfectly worked out.

I'll understand if it takes a while to get to the Award, you're a little busy.

Take care,
Nannette

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm laughing aloud while you're telling me to "feel free to fall prostrate on the ground"! Wow, if ever there was a good reason to get there, you've received quite a few. Although I fall prostrate for much less these days ... mainly because of God's grace over me on a daily basis!

Oh, I'd love to get to VA beach this Fall; I have some connections in the area. Such a beautiful place to land, new friend. May God continue to guide and direct your steps in every way, in every day, in big and small ways.

peace~elaine

Debbie said...

This is so encouraging for me to read now. I've been praying for God's will in a personal situation and it seems like nothing is happening. And yet, in the midst of it all, He's been blessing me in other ways I would never have dreamed. I'm still waiting on Him but His timing is perfect.

I'm so glad to hear your story and how your faith is growing and being strengthened. May God bless you and your family for your obedience and trust.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a beautiful post....

Blessed Mom of 8 said...

Lauren,

Sometimes God just loves to bless our socks off and this is most definitely one of those times!

This post caused me to giggle, smile, cry and just beam from the inside out!

I'm thrilled for you and John.

Trusting that God is working more miracle and blessings out that you couldn't even imagine if you tried!

Praying over your new jobs, new home and new journey as you follow hard and fast after Him!

Lots of love,
Jill

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

I love stories about God working out all the details!

Kristen said...

ahh that was BEAUTIFUL! God is AMAZING & I love how you didn't question His will but just marched forward! How awesome!

3 Blessings said...

Put on your fanciest outfit and join me at my blog for an award ceremony :)">You have been nominated...
Blessings,
Amy

Theresa @ Heavenly Glimpses said...

Wow, congratulations! Your blog title is very fitting for your life! I love both of your absolute abandon and surrender to the Lord. What blessings...

Amy said...

Wow! God is so good! I've had a busy week & am just catching up on your blog! I'm just so in awe of God and how He works in the lives of His children!