7.17.2009

Jesus in the workplace


Wow – this week has been a whirlwind for me!! Thank you for all your prayers and support as I have started my new job. God has been ever present with me this week! I can’t believe I am at the end of my first week on the job. The first couple of days were extremely hard. I felt like I needed to have all the information down perfectly right off the bat. My new boss is a wonderful man, and has made it clear that he does not expect me to know everything so soon. He has been so patient with me, and that has helped me not get too stressed out. I am in awe of the warm welcome I have received here. Everyone is so helpful and more than willing to answer all my questions … sometimes more than once! I can already tell that I am going to love working in this office.

I was so nervous going into this position. Applying for the job I had so much confidence – I kept thinking, “Of course they should hire me… I would be great at this job!” After I was hired the insecurity started to set in and I found myself thinking, “oh no… what if I can’t do it? What if I’m not smart enough? What if I’m not capable?” I have been recognizing those as lies from the enemy. It is abundantly clear that God set this all up for me. I have no doubt in my mind that He wants me in this job. Therefore, even if I’m not good enough, He is! He will provide the strength and wisdom that I need to get the job done. I say that to myself multiple times throughout the day. It has actually been a blessing to be unsure of my abilities. It has required me to rely on God fully in every moment.

I want to be mindful of God’s presence throughout the day. So, I have begun decorating my office in a way that will encourage that. Yesterday I printed out several Bible verses and put them up around my office where I can see them at any moment:



· On my phone stand is Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self – control.” I figure that there will be times when I am dealing with people over the phone that may frustrate me. This is my reminder to deal with them in the ways of the Spirit. Perhaps by being patient, joyful, and gentle I will brighten their day.
· On my computer stand is Philippians 4:13 “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Of all my abilities I am the least confident in my computer skills. I am competent on a computer, but l have been dealing with a mac … not windows xp … so I need a refresher. I am reminding myself that I can do it through Christ!! I will learn everything I need to with His help!
· On my file stand I have 1 Corinthians 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” There may be times when I am just filing, or doing mundane things that are less exciting than I would prefer. This is my reminder that EVERYTHING I do is for Him. So, I should do it with a joyful and thankful spirit to glorify my King.


There are others that I have printed and not yet decided where to put them … they are verses reminding me to keep my thoughts fixed on God, to be strong and courageous, and that my Lord is always with me. Having these reminders of my Savior have resulted in wonderful days and high spirits. I would love to recommend this system to you too! I have verses in my kitchen, my craft room, our bedroom … all over the place at home! It works!


That’s all I’ve got time for today … I hope you all had a fabulous week and are looking forward to a marvelous weekend!


image signature

28 comments:

Manuela said...

Hi! I'm so happy for your new job!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
Manuela

VMI Chapel said...

greaet word- I plan on sharing this with our STP students this Sunday in Chapel. You have modeled for us how we live the triumphant life in Christ- walking in His Word and filled with His Spirit- nothing can separate us from the love of god in Christ Jesus! we are so PROUD of you Lauren! You have exemplified Christ for us in the way you have lived this week; we love you!

Mich said...

So glad the new job is working out! God does provide!

Faith Imagined said...

I get the exact same way when I start something new!

Great way to decorate your office!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

I am happy for you and your new job!

I also want to bask in the Presence of the Lord. Always.

Alicia said...

Lauren..that is so awesome! That is the perfect way to get through your days at work!!!!

Kristen Love said...

You made it through the first week-yay! You have a fantastic attitude and I am sure that your boss feels lucky to have you working there!
You CAN do all things through Christ!
Have a fabulous and relaxing weekend!!!
Love,
Kristen

3 Blessings said...

I am so happy that you filled your office with reminders of your strength through HIM. I know you will do great at your job. I am also happy that you get to see your hubby this weekend. Enjoy your weekend.
God's blessings to you,
Amy

Mocha Momma said...

I know my cat would love you too. I don't post about my cat as much as I'd like to cuz so many people seem to dislike cats or they're allergic to them which creates a disdane for them I guess.

He's just a lovely, wonderful, lazy, crazy cat. we love him too much!

I'm so happy about your new job. I hope you'll catch on soon with windows etc. I have very little experience with windows so I'm limited in job choices. I should probably take a course soon.

Great idea posting Bible verses in strategic locations. It's good you are allowed to.

Have a great weekend,
Nannette

Lisa said...

That's a great idea to post verses where you can see them and be reminded of God's Word. We have verses posted around our house, some for the kids' benefit but also for ours.

Jayme said...

Congratulations on making through the first week of work! I love your idea!
Jayme

Carla said...

I love finding women and their blogs who are walking in faith and shining a light! Congrats at being the featured blogger today on Lynettes getting to know you.
Enjoy the love. :)
I am also happy to meet another foster mom. We are part of a sisterhood of women who give our everything to a child knowing they are only ours for a short time.
I also have a son that lives in heaven...unfortunately part of that sisterhood too.
God Bless you as you live out loud for him!!
p.s I love your post about being obsessed. ;)

Tonya said...

Stopping over from Lynnette's...Congratulations on being featured today! It's so much fun! Good luck with your new job! It sounds like you're off to a great start!

Tonya

Christina said...

I am stopping over from Lynette's blog. I spent some time reading some of your previous stories & was touched in so many ways.

Thank you for sharing those intimate emotions & your walk with God's grace.

Blessings,
Christina

Lorie said...

I'm visiting from Lynette's blog. Congratulations on your new job!

Wisdom for Today said...

He will always finish what He starts. You will do very well at your new job! Congrats!

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Just stopped by from Lynnette's blog and wanted to say hello and congrats for being the featured blogger today.

Congrats on your new job and I love the Bible verse ideas. Great reminders and even I could use those here at home while I tend to my family.

Blessings to you today!

Vera said...

I'm visiting from Lynette's blog, and I'm SO happy to discover your blog - what a beautiful post!

Hope said...

Excellent!

Dearest Lauren,
This is certainly a fantastic way to keep your mind on Him and remind yourself that it is He who directs your paths and will perform His good work in you. All those scripture you mentioned are so helpful and wonderful!

God bless you in your new job!
♥Hope

The Tolf family said...

I am visiting from Lynnette's blog today. Such a wonderful post and great reminder of things we can do to keep God in the fore fronts of our minds. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin said...

Congrats on being featured today and on your new job! I was scrolling down and saw you posted about "Crazy Love". I just finished reading that too and the lukewarm and obsessed chapters really spoke to me too.

I hope you are having a great second week at your new job :)

Angela said...

Hi, Lauren! I'm visiting from Lynnette's Getting to Know You. Congrats on being featured today! Have a blessed day.

In Christ,
Angela

Falling Around said...

Congrats on the new job. You are a smart one to cover yourself in scripture throughout the difficult day.

the Spocks said...

Visiting from Lynette's blog. Have a blessed week.

CEO of the Cole Clan said...

Hi Lauren,
I found your blog through Lynette's and your scripture posted around your office is great! What a great way to encourage you and inspire anyone else who may see it! May God lift you up and strengthen you!
Blessings,
Janelle

Michelle said...

Hi, I'm visiting from Lynette's blog. We were also foster parents for quite a long time also. I'm praying for you today that the presence of the Lord will surround you as you work. May he give you the abilities you need to do a good job.

Karen said...

Hi Lauren,
Congratulations on being featured on Lynnette's "Getting to Know You." It has been a lot of fun meeting new friends.

Blessings,
Karen

lisalyn said...

Congrats on the new job! :)
I love how you added the verses into your day by putting them near you. And what great verses for the spots you chose. Very cool.