7.10.2009

Profile of the Lukewarm...




  I read the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan this week. It is amazing, eye - opening, convicting, motivating, encouraging, and so much more! One of the things in this book that really struck me were 2 separate "profile" chapters. Early in the book Chan writes about the profile of the Lukewarm ... much later in the book he writes about the profile of the Obsessed. I wanted to give you both lists today because they are so amazing ... but that would have been too much to digest in one day. So I'll start with the lukewarm list - but come back tomorrow for the list about obsessed people. It will blow your mind!


This is from the fourth chapter of Crazy Love...

Profile of the Lukewarm:
  • Lukewarm people attend church fairly regularly. It is what is expected of them, what they believe "good Christians" do, so they go.
  • Lukewarm people tend to choose what is popular over what is right when they are in conflict. They desire to fit in both at church and outside of church; they care more about what people think of their actions (like church attendance and giving) than what God thinks of their hearts and lives.
  • Lukewarm people don't really want to be saved from their sin; they want only to be saved from the penalty of their sin. They don't genuinely hate sin and aren't truly sorry for it; they're merely sorry because God is going to punish them. Lukewarm people don't really believe that this new life Jesus offers is better than the old sinful one.
  • Lukewarm people are moved by stories about people who do radical things for Christ, yet they do not act. They assume such action is for "extreme" Christians, not average ones. Lukewarm people call "radical" what Jesus expected of all His followers.
  • Lukewarm people rarely share their faith with their neighbors, coworkers, or friends. They do not want to be rejected, nor do they want to make people uncomfortable by talking about private issues like religion.
  • Lukewarm people gauge their morality or "goodness" by comparing themselves to the secular world. They feel satisfied that while they aren't as hard-core for Jesus as so-and-so, they are nowhere as horrible as the guy down the street.
  • Lukewarm people say they love Jesus, and He is, indeed, a part of their lives. But only a part. They give Him a section of their time, their money, and their thoughts, but He isn't allowed to control their lives.
  • Lukewarm people love God, but they do not love Him with all their heart, soul, and strength. They would be quick to assure you that they try to love God that much, but that sort of total devotion isn't really possible for the average person; it's only for pastors and missionaries and radicals.
  • Lukewarm people love others but do not seek to love others as much as they love themselves. Their love of others is typically focused on those who love them in return, like family, friends, and other people they know and connect with. There is little love left over for those who cannot love them back, much less more those who intentionally slight them, whose kids are better athletes than theirs, or with whom conversations are awkward or uncomfortable. Their love is highly conditional and very selective, and generally comes with strings attached. 
  • Lukewarm people will serve God and others, but there are limits to how far they will go or how much time, money, and energy they are willing to give.
  • Lukewarm people think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven. Daily life is mostly focused on today's to-do list, this week's schedule, and next month's vacation. Rarely, if ever, do they intently consider the life to come. 
  • Lukewarm people are thankful for their luxuries and comforts, and rarely consider trying to give as much as possible to the poor. They are quick to point out, "Jesus never said money is the root of all evil, only that the love of money is." Untold numbers of lukewarm people feel "called" to minister to the rich; very few feel "called" to minister to the poor.
  • Lukewarm people do whatever is necessary to keep themselves from feeling too guilty. They want to do the bare minimum, to be "good enough" without it requiring too much of them.
  • Lukewarm people are continually concerned with playing it safe; they are slaves to the god of control. This focus on safe living keeps them from sacrificing and risking for God.
  • Lukewarm people feel secure because they attend church, made a profession of faith at age twelve, were baptized, come from a Christian family, vote Republican, or live in America. Just as the prophets in the Old Testament warned Israel they they were not safe just because they lived in the land of Israel, so we are not safe just because we wear the label Christian or because some people persist in calling us a "Christian nation."
  • Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to. They don't have to trust God if something unexpected happens - they have their savings account. They don't need God to help them - they have their retirement plan in place. They don't genuinely seek out what life God would have them live - they have life figured and mapped out. They don't depend on God on a daily basis - their refrigerators are full and, for the most part, they are in good health. The truth is, their lives wouldn't look much different if they suddenly stopped believing in God.
  • Lukewarm people probably drink and swear less than average, but besides that, they aren't very different from your typical unbeliever. They equate their partially sanitized lives with holiness, but they couldn't be more wrong. 

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth."
Revelation 3:15 - 16

Each bullet point caused some serious thinking on my part... I really examined my own life to see if I was guilty of being lukewarm. I would encourage you to do the same thing today. Then please come back tomorrow to read about people who are obsessed with Jesus! 


For some more random posts visit Andrea here.


As a side note ... I would appreciate your prayers today. This is the 2nd anniversary of the day we lost our second child. It's always a tough day for me as I try not to think about it too much and dwell on the traumatic events of that day. I am choosing to praise God today for the little life He blessed us with  (no matter how short the time) and be thankful knowing we will see our baby in heaven! God is good ... all the time!
image signature

20 comments:

Andrea said...

I sometimes am guilty of a lot more of these than I would like to admit. Thanks for the thought provoking post, Lauren!

Michele said...

These are good reminders to keep us from being lukewarm, and watch ourself, really easy to fall in to the lukewarm category! Great Post

3 Blessings said...

Oh, now I really need to get that book. I am very intrigued and I pray daily that I do not fall into the lukewarm category.
Amy

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

Glad you love the book!! It is awesome!! It really is such an eye opener to question ourselves and ask "are we living for God, or are we just wanting to avoid Hell".

I loved that chapter because it forced me to look at where I stand. AND IT IS HARD!!

It is awesome to know, we have a God of Grace and Compassion!! His name is Love. We should not follow him and work to be like him out of Guilt! Rather we should LOVE him and by that our works will show this LOVE! We will not be Lukewarm.....not because we are "trying", rather because we are LOVING our Father!!

We are saved by Grace, we could never "earn" this salvation. We should be amazed and in love with a God who can love the unlovable!!

Thanks for publishing this Laruen!!!

I don't have an id yet, but this is Tim

Lauren said...

I JUST READ THIS BOOK TWO MONTHS AGO!

I love that God would do that since I sent an email about Francis Chan today! I will forward to you!

"Rachel" said...

All that crunching noise you just heard?

Was my toes.

Thanks for posting, this is on my list of to-reads.

Falling Around said...

Oh, I am guilty of many of those points you listed. Thank you for being a sister of edification and sharpening.

Praying for you this difficult day, sweet friend.

He & Me + 3 said...

wow that book sounds awesome and I would love to read it. Thanks for taking the time to share all of that with us.
Praying for you today.

Alicia said...

That sounds like a great book! I will be back to read the other list! I wonder if our bookstore has that. I'm going to ask!

Also, I'll be praying for you!!

Kristen Love said...

Great post-I need to read that book :-)Thank you for sharing it with us.
You will be in my prayers today!

Karen said...

Lauren,
You will be in my prayers today!

Take care,
Karen

crittyjoy said...

That book kicked my booty! And I am so blessed by it still. It was challenging and encouraging....thank you for sharing this it was a great reminder :)

Praying for you today.

Rita T. said...

Lukewarm seems to be around us a lot these days. Your post is a very insightful one. Have a blessed weekend.

Lea said...

I have heard that is a wonderful book Lauren. It sounds fabulous.
I love your blog design! It is soooo beautiful!
I've been looking for something flowery fresh like this!
Please know I'm lifting you up in my prayers today.
Lea

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, friend, I think our hearts in a similar place of grief, although I've never lost a child...just a friend. No matter how we wrap it, grief hurts as it remembers. It's not bad; in fact, grief is usually a very good thing and a tremendous avenue for God's sacred shaping in our hearts and lives. We cannot walk through our pain without learning something further about ourselves...about our God. We may not always understand where he is headed, but we can be sure of where we're headed as we step it...

home.

Praying you know the rich reminder of God's loving provision in your life as you reflect and remember.

peace~elaine
PS: I've heard great things about this book. I've also read this list before on another blog. I'm guilty of my complacency; how I long to be on red-hot fire for the things of God!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

I just started this book and it seems like it is going to be awesome.

Yolanda - a blogger friend from "Higher Grounds" recommended it. I actually got to meet her in real life on Wednesday. Head over to my blog and read about it! God ordained for sure..

Shona Christine said...

Wow, is that list convicting! There are too many bullet points that describe me and my life. I think I need to get this book - I pray God can use it to light a fire under me and get me moving toward Him.

I'm praying for you on this day, that God would comfort you as only He can.

Shark Bait said...

Very thought-provoking. I might just print this out and put it up somewhere.

I especially liked/feared the one about "Lukewarm people don't want to be saved from their sin; they want to be saved from the consequences of their sin."

Definitely a few there to work on.

<-SB><

Debbie said...

Lauren, I read Crazy Love by Francis Chan and absolutely loved it too! Thanks for writing out these lists. It helps me to be refreshed and reminded. Thank you for visiting Heart Choices this morning. Have a wonderful weekend.

Mocha Momma said...

I want to be obsessed too. I feel convicted because I'm more luke warm than anything. I'm not liking that.

Thanks, Lauren for another thought provoking post.
Take care,
Nannette