7.08.2009

WFW: Genesis 2:16-17


"Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat."
Genesis 2:16-17

As I read over this verse last night I felt convicted. We are so quick to blame Eve for all of our problems today and think "If only she hadn't eaten that apple we'd be fine... I sure wouldn't have eaten it!" But I wonder if that is true. How many times a day do we eat the forbidden fruit? Let that fruit represent the sin in your life... it's frightening.
Is there something that you just can't let go of, even though you know it's not what God wants for you? Are you savoring that fruit? Is there a specific sin that you repent of, but you keep returning to it time and again ... only to repeat the cycle of repentance? Are you returning to that tree day after day?
I really don't think we are much better than Eve. In fact, I sometimes wonder if I would have lasted as long as she did in that garden. It is my prayer that I would take an honest look at my own heart in light of God's holiness. Let's not compare ourselves to others and their sin ... there's always someone worse than you (but there's also always someone better than you too!)
As we meditate on this verse let's ask God to reveal the forbidden fruit in our lives. Then let's repent and turn away from the tree and follow hard after God!

May everyone be so blessed today and bask in Christ's forgiveness and love!


For more word filled wednesday visit the 160 acre wood here.


image signature

23 comments:

Mich said...

Great words. So true.

I often have to remind myself to get the big "plank" out of my own eye, before judging others.

Stacey said...

Such a great word and oh so true. I'm working on letting go of quite a few things as I type : )

Have a great Wednesday!

Stacey : )

Lucy Marie said...

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes these verses that are so common become just that, common, and we forgot how they apply to our lives.

"Rachel" said...

This was great, Lauren. We just talked about this last night with the teen girls in Bible study. Thanks for sharing!

Hope said...

Dear Lauren,

This is good.

I do not really blame Eve, because Satan, who is as a roaring lion, walking about, seeking whom he may devour, was there. I figure with him roaming about, eventually someone would have fallen into sin.

But at the same time, I do not compare myself to Eve, because she was at that time without sin, and because of the fall, we are born with a sinful nature.

I am not excusing “eating forbidden fruit” because we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

I do agree that we should examine ourselves.
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

So, I thank you for this edification!

♥Hope

3 Blessings said...

Thank you Lauren. Such a great reminder...I am so thankful that my Savior is always there to forgive and love me.

Lois Lane II said...

What a great thought!! Thanks for sharing!

Denise said...

Such great words spoken here sweetie, bless your heart.

Samantha said...

Thank you for sharing and visiting my blog today. Thank you for the reminder and Gods beautiful words.
Blessings to you dear one.

Cathy said...

Beautiful ~ thanks for His Word and your thoughts ~

Karen said...

You made a great point. The Israelites are another example. I think a lot of times we find ourselves thinking - how in the world could they not trust the Lord after all they'd seen Him do???? But don't we do the same thing some times? Quite convicting.

Hope you have a great day!
Karen

Joan said...

Lauren,

Great WFW post!

I'm also in VA - D.C. area. This is my first time to your blog. I'll be stopping in again for sure.

Blessings

MyJourneyBack said...

Lauren that was a beautiful post. And I love the illustration you made. Thanks for the reminder to ask God to reveal to us those things. Great post. Thanks for sharing.
BTW I am new here and I was inspired by your profile. Nice to meet you.
Many Blessings,
Sherry

mom-2-4 said...

wow- that is so true! What you wrote is such an eye-opener, and such a great reminder to stop going back to that sin. I am guilty of that myself, going back over and over again. Definately something that I personally need to work on. Thanks for the post!
Julianne :)

Amydeanne said...

great ponderings Lauren!

Joanne Sher said...

Oh boy, Lauren. I definitely needed to hear this. You have given me a completely new perspective on this story. Thank you (oh,and I love the picture!). Happy WFW!

LaVonne said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about sin. Yes, I think we all would have made the choice. Praise God, that he sent his son to die for us so that we might live. We can gain Victory through Him!

Toia said...

So true and so real. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt thoughts. Happy WFW!!

e-Mom said...

Excellent! Love your verse and your thoughts of encouragement, thanks. :~D

Vicki said...

Great verse and a great post!

eLisa said...

Wonderful contribution, Lauren! Thanks so much for sharing!

Manuela said...

You're absolutely right! We are human beings, so we aren't perfect. It's sad but we are inclined to sin! Only God is perfect. We only have to try to avoid to be sinners, praying and trying to make our best.

Blessings,
Manuela

Laurencita said...

Yes, your verse is a reminder for me. thanks for your visit. God bless.