8.14.2009

caffeinated randomness: Be Still


(I posted this months ago and as I looked back over it I realized how much I need it today:)

One thing that I have noticed about my walk of faith in the last 5 years is that I do A LOT of talking to God. Occasionally I have the immense joy of hearing from Him as well, but if I were to compare the two - I talk to Him a lot more than He talks to me. Or so I thought...
So often I expect to hear from God in an enormous way - you know, big booming voice, tremendous circumstances, sign after sign after sign. But God doesn't always speak that way. Elijah learned this lesson on a mountain top:
"A great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake cam a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper."1 Kings 19:11-12


I would have been so focused on the wind, earthquake and fire that I probably wouldn't have heard the whisper that was the Lord! I know this to be true because it happens in my own life - not necessarily with actual wind, earthquakes, or fire (though I have experienced all 3!). But, when life comes up against me, and situations feel huge and beyond my control - I get distracted! I am so focused on the mountains in my life that are being torn apart that I'm not quiet enough to hear the whisper.

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still, and know that I am God BE STILL! Quiet yourself and know that God is who He says He is. Then maybe you will be able to hear the whisper that says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28..."


God is speaking to us, but can we hear Him? Maybe we are so busy watching the wind and yelling to God to see the wind, that we can't even hear Him tell us that He is sovereign over the wind.


For more caffeinated randomness visit Andrea here!

image signature

19 comments:

Andrea said...

God reminds me of this a LOT, since I'm a talker and all! I actually have an awesome print from Dayspring over my stove that has that verse on it. Even though I see it everyday, when I most need it, those words jump out at me.

Lois Lane II said...

Nice. =)

From the Heart said...

Your post is great. I love your honesty.
Blessings,
AliceE.

Alicia said...

You're so right! I get too distracted in the big things! Thank you for this reminder, Lauren!!!

3 Blessings said...

You know from our journey the last couple of weeks that God is doing a lot of whispering to us. It has been the most amazing experience to let go of everything else and just listen to Him whisper to us. God bless you Lauren. You always seem to post something that makes my day by keeping my focus on God.
Blessings,
Amy

kara with a k said...

This is quite timely for me. Thanks.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post and a great reminder of something
I need to practice more often.....Your blog blesses me always.

SnoWhite said...

You are so right -- this has been on my mind this week too. I have such a hard time sitting still -- but I know God is developing character in me as I do rest quietly before Him.

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

DOn't I know this one girl! Been there real recent! Ha...

I love all the verses you used here. God's Word is just so powerful and it just speaks mightily over me tonight.

Thank you for blessing me today.

Mich said...

Great words. The soft words of God flow, so that we will actually have to stop what we are doing at time to hear them.

Happy weekend!

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh girl you always speak right to me. It is hard for me to be still.

Franchesca Cox said...

I think I'm with you, I'd be way too distracted by the big things happening all around to see what God is trying to tell/show me. Thanks for this post, it was encouraging.

Hope said...

Hello Lauren,
I can certainly appreciate this! I too often am looking for some mighty occurrence to know that God has spoken, but I have also experience the small still voice after very long and emotional sessions of tears. Thanks for the edification.
♥Hope

SarahRu said...

Hi Lauren! I just stumbled across your blog. Very inspiring. Enjoy your day!

"Rachel" said...

Love this Lauren. Thanks for sharing!

alihsee said...

I'm sure I am distracted by the 'louder' things in life as well. A much needed reminder! Blessings chicka!

edwin joseph said...

It's always better to be still.. I have personally experienced this verse in my life.. In fact, it's part of my life's greatest testimony. :-)

Amber said...

I love this. Thank you for sharing!

Mocha Momma said...

AMEN!