8.13.2009

Favorite Things Thursday with a hint of sarcasm...

Filled With Praise

I have to confess that I am having trouble coming up with my favorite things to be thankful for. The temptation to be a little sarcastic is overwhelming…. Those of you who know me know that this is NOT usual! I am normally filled with gratefulness and joy. But to be totally honest with you I am worn out – the major transition we’ve been going through is starting to wear on me. So, I am going to write the “sarcastic post” I originally thought of, but instead of it being sarcastic I am going to work to make it truth.

My Favorite Things…

  • Getting up at 6am to go to work for 9 hours Monday – Friday
  • Taking my life in my hands every time I get in the car to go someplace
  • Not having a place of my own … living with parents and in laws
  • Hardly ever seeing my husband and feeling like we never get a chance to just be alone together
  • Missing my old church family so much it hurts
  • Getting new allergies and having my eyelids swell up making me totally self conscious at work
  • Not having a single day off in the past month due to work and all the activities related to John’s job and the transition
  • Having dairy allergies and craving mint chocolate chip ice cream so much I want to cry…
  • Needing 12 extra hours each day and 3 extra days of the week to get everything done
  • Feeling completely poured out so that there’s nothing left

End of sarcasm now.

It really is a blessing to have parents and in laws who love us so completely and care about our well being that they would open their homes and let us live rent free indefinitely. It is a HUGE blessing to have steady work in a time when so many people are out of a job. I am thankful that I know my Father in Heaven and He sends His angels to protect me on the roads and even if I should lose my life here on Earth I will be in Heaven with Jesus! I am secure in my husband’s love even in this time when it’s a struggle to get alone time. I know that our marriage is set on the foundation of Jesus Christ and we will not be shaken. I feel blessed know that our church family in Lexington is praying for us daily and we look forward to our visits back. I am resting assured that God has a plan in absolutely everything including allergies. I am thankful for the lesson of humility (in regards to my eyes) and I am trusting God to use these allergies for His glory in my life (and I am believing God for gallons of mint chocolate chip ice cream when I finally get to Heaven!!)


Lastly, I am thankful that when I am poured out and empty then God can finally take over and fill me up with Him. It should be a blessing to be completely rid of ME and be completely filled with JESUS! That is my prayer today and it is my only hope.

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16


For more Favorite Things visit Amy at Filled With Praise!

image signature

19 comments:

3 Blessings said...

Lauren,
This is such a beautiful example of finding the blessings during the "rough times". We are to give thanks in all circumstances and praise Him for all things big and small. I am thankful for you and your beautiful examples of His love that you post daily.
Blessings friend,
Amy

He & Me + 3 said...

You are too cute. So glad that you can look past the exhaustion and still see the blessings. I feel for you about the ice cream, because that is my favorite flavor too. I pray you get some rest this weekend.

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've really enjoyed looking around your blog and reading your posts. I know how it is to feel so worn out that you can't think of anything to praise the Lord for. You're amazing to count your blessings even in this rough time!

I have dairy and gluten allergies, so I know what you mean about craving stuff you can't have! I like to think of it as a blessing that God's given me a built-in lifetime diet. Lol!

Have a good day!
Kelly

Shannon said...

Lauren I have missed reading your posts. This summer has been so busy for us. You are such an inspiration to me, and to my faith. Even through the tough times you have this solid relationship and faith with God. You truly are amazing!! Thank you

Lucy Marie said...

What a great way to resignify not-so-great things into praises to our Lord!

Debbie said...

I love your honesty Lauren. Life will be filled with good times and then the more challenging times. And the Lord will get your through as you depend upon Him. Don't forget you also have many blogging friends who will pray for you and encourage you too.
Hugs,
Debbie

Samantha said...

How wonderful that you are praising God in the challenging times !
~ Praying you have a blessed day.

kara with a k said...

Honesty. Always the best way to go. God is glorified when we are authentic and in difficult times still find things to praise Him for.

I sympathize with your longing for ice cream, I'm lactose intolerant and it doesn't bode well for me to eat it. Sniff.

Grami's girls said...

Your an inspiration!

Alicia said...

Another wonderful, open and honest post!! Thank you for sharing your heart again!!

Mich said...

Hang in there, girlfriend! Ministry life can be so hard, yet so full of rich blessings at the same time! I should know, my whole life has been in the middle of it. My dad and hubby are both ministers.

A wise woman once told me...being married to a minister is doctor's hours, on a salary of faith, with the greatest bonuses.

SnoWhite said...

Lauren, thanks for the encouragement. I hear you on so many levels ... I loved your hopes for ice cream in heaven ... and God knows there will probably be something even better than ice cream there and no food allergies to worry about! PRAISE GOD for His goodness.

Jayme said...

Lauren!
My heart is with you today! Our house is such a rollercoster right now too, getting use to new schedules, unpredictiable schedules, alittle bit of lonelness (being in a new place...very much missing chapel), and still getting use to each other! But God is ALWAYS good! May His blessing pour down on you in His time.
I also need to thank you for your post on gossip (I will explain it in a post later, but)...thank you.
love,
jayme

Andrea said...

You're too cute! But look at you, turning the negative into a positive - good for you! It will get better - hang in there!

MyJourneyBack said...

Oh Lauren,
What a sweet and heartfelt post. Many blessings to you as you work through your struggles. What a sweet spirit to remember to be thankful in all circumstances and turn it over to God. My prayers are with you. I know the allergy thing is miserable and just can make you feel cranky.
I am praying you have a Blessed evening tonight. ry
Hugs,
Sher

Pineapple Princess said...

Love this line, "I am thankful that when I am poured out and empty then God can finally take over and fill me up with Him". You put it so perfectly!

I'm a new follower of your wonderful blog! :)

Hope said...

Dear Lauren,

I am encouraged in how you wrote honestly about your troubles and turned it ALL into thankfulness, living the scripture 1 Thessalonians 5:16.

I thought of this scripture as I was reading your post…

Psalm 30:10-12
Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper.

Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;

To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

♥Hope

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

At some point in this crazy journey called your life, called my life, a moment comes where it all "fits" together with understanding. Until then, we walk in faith believing God for the plan and for that moment.

Hang in there, sweet Lauren. You're not alone in your navigation of new waters. I'm sailing my own these days.

Thanks for your kind words.

peace~elaine

Mocha Momma said...

It was wonderful to read as you moved from sarcasm to thankfulness. What an example you are for me.

Bless your heart.

Sorry I've been absent for so long. I was overwhelmed and then I had my tooth problem (yes a dif-ferent tooth). I'm feeling good today and I'll have a root canal on Wed. I hope it'll do the job and there will be little pain following.

Take care. I'll keep reading to see how things turned out.

Nannette