8.19.2009

WFW: Shine Like Stars


"For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life - in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."
Philippians 2:13-16
I love these verses! The words are so motivating to me. I want to be able to live out the first verse everyday. But the part that really catches my eye is when Paul admonishes us to "shine like stars"... wow. What girl wouldn't want to have that said about her? I would love to overhear someone saying about me, "she really shines like the stars." Wouldn't you? Yet this is our calling in Christ! This is obtainable by all of us in Jesus.
Let me explain a little why the stars do shine. Since I'm not a scientist I will cite a quote from the Lansing State Journal 1992, "The energy released in the star’s center makes its way to the surface, where it is radiated into space as light, heat x-rays, ultraviolet light and radio waves." The energy inside the star can't be contained and makes its way outside where it bursts into the universe as a great and twinkling light! That is a perfect definition of us as followers of Jesus Christ! In John 8:12 Jesus said, "Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Where does that light come from? John tells us again, later in 1 John 1:5, "God is light." When we accept the gift of salvation Christ comes to live inside of us. He is God, so He is light! Light comes to live in us, and we need to be so excited and energetic about it that the light makes its way to our surface and bursts out of us!
As we are shining like the stars, Philippians further states that we are to "hold out the word of life". We are to share the good news of Christ to all who don't know. They need this wonderful knowledge that we already have. "His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6 God gave us the light in our hearts for He is the light in us. Through this He has given us the beautiful knowledge of the word of life. We are to let that light shine out for all to see and share the gospel so that they might receive the word of life and receive the light themselves. Then another star will be added to the family and we can all shine together...
"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:16


For more Word Filled WEdnesday please visit Critty Joy here!

image signature

28 comments:

Denise said...

Very powerful, love it sweetie.

Laurie said...

How exciting that God calls us to shine as the stars. He made the stars so He certainly knows how to help us shine in Christ! Love your post sister, Laurie

alihsee said...

This is just so gorgeous! I love the combo! :) Blessings Chicka!

Wisdom for Today said...

I always wonder how so many scientists can be non-believers when the evidence of of awesome GOD is so clear!!! Thanks for the science lesson and the GREAT WFW! I'm ready to explode!

3 Blessings said...

I love the thoughts behind your WFW! To think that He is the reason we shine makes me so happy. HE IS THE LIGHT!
Blessings dear friend,
Amy

Hope said...

A very edifying and encouraging post, dear Lauren!
♥Hope

From the Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
From the Heart said...

Beautiful verse and comments with it. Like one of the others I wonder how the scientists who study the stars, moon, and planets cannot believe in God.
From my heart to yours,
AliceE

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Oh to let our light shine so brightly and so intently. May He be so radiant in my life that He just bursts through as my soul can't contain that joy!

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Amen! What a beautiful reminder to let our light shine. I loved the info about the stars too. Very interesting. Happy WFW!

Lois Lane II said...

That just makes me smile. =)

He & Me + 3 said...

I love this verse and it has kindof become our families theme verse for this year. LOVE IT!

SnoWhite said...

awesome - thanks for sharing this today. Stars are pretty amazing - -I could stare at them for hours, and that's pretty cool that God is calling us to shine like them.

ps- love the Matthew verse!

JesuLalaine said...

Wow!! very well said Lauren.. i love how you expound the verse by explaining how stars shine.. . that's like a new revelation for me. I'm blessed and encouraged. Blessings to you!

Lalaine's World
From Asia and Beyond
Day to Day Miracles
Trying to be Fit
Not a Shopaholic

Peggy said...

WOW! Blessings Lauren!!! This is powerful and beautiful all in one!
Your words are inspiring!Keep shining! You shine like the stars!
Thanks for your sweet visit!

Mich said...

Thank you. i needed to read this. it has been one of those kind of weeks.

thanks for the blessing.

Cathy said...

Very beautiful, thank ou ~

hip chick said...

Very good wfw post.

Alicia said...

Amen!! Reminds me of the childrens song "This Little Light Of Mine."

Chelle said...

Excellent post! Shine on, shine on!

Karen said...

Praise to the Light of Life! Thank you for the encouraging post.

Michele said...

WHAT A GREAT WFW!

LivingforGod said...

You do shine like stars :)! Keep shining brightly for Jesus, Lauren!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

A Stone Gatherer said...

I LOVED THAT DESCRIPTION OF STARS!!!! That is exactly what we should be doing to! That is great!

crittyjoy said...

Beautiful.

And wise words today :)

Blessings.

nanay said...

Beautiful verse and encouraging.

Brookie said...

The teacher who is teaching my "new teacher" class thinks its really rude to read a blog and not leave a comment... and I guess I see her point.

I guess I'll be commenting in some way on EVERY post you write, Lauren, because I always read what you write.

Miss you. Keep shining!

"Rachel" said...

This verse makes me think of a book I'm reading right now, The Hole In Our Gospel. He talks a lot about our outward ministry to others as a result of conversion, and how Jesus's plan for us was to touch the world with compassion. Shining like stars. :)