8.31.2009

worship as a lifestyle


"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

1 Corinthians 10:31


I’ve had a memory rolling around in my mind for weeks now. I finally had to sit down and ask God why he kept bringing this particular event to mind – especially since it seemed so insignificant to me. The answer blew me away with the power of its truth.

I was a junior in college and a very new believer in Christ. I had accepted Jesus as my Savior less than a year before. When I finally came to Christ I knew that I needed to get plugged in with a group of believing peers. I joined a Christian group on campus and started regularly attending the girls Bible Study. I grew so much and made some amazing friends. Within months I was spending a majority of my time out of classes with this group. We held our own worship services every other Friday night. It was student run and just plain wonderful! One of the advantages of not growing up in a very actively Christian family is that I didn’t know all the “terms”. I didn’t speak “christianese” as I like to put it. So when a young man asked me about the worship services I didn’t know the lingo. His question was simple.
Who is doing the worship? I was confused. In my mind it was a worship service. Was he asking who ran the service? So I said, “The service? The students run the service.” He was equally confused, “no… the worship – who does the worship?” I couldn’t figure out what he was talking about! Finally we figured each other out and I got that he meant the music. That was my first lesson in “Christianese.” After that I knew if someone was asking about the worship they meant the music.

But is that right? Maybe in my limited knowledge of the Christian life I was onto something. Shouldn’t it ALL be worship? Shouldn’t the ENTIRE service be an act of worship? Even more, shouldn’t our entire lives be spent in worship? Our conversation, our day to day events and actions should all be spent in a mindset of worship to our Father. This is my challenge for myself and for you today… do everything with a mindset of worship to God.


Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.”

Colossians 3:17
image signature

16 comments:

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Lauren,

Yes! This is a perfect fit for the "Growing UP" meme. Thank you so much for linking up with Blessed...today.

You know, I remember the first time this scripture struck a cord with me. I was in a Bible study and had barely made it that morning, overwhelmed by a messy house and a HUGE to-do list. I was feeling far from joyful.

His word reminded me that whether I'm washing the same dirty dish for the tenth time that week, to do it all for Him.

I still think of it when I am scrubbing toilets, or changing bed sheets.

ALL for Him!

Denise said...

Amen, amen.

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing this! What a great reminder for my day. :)

Alicia said...

Yes..so true! Worship is not limited to "music" but how we live our lives daily! We should be worshipping Him w/ our lives!

He & Me + 3 said...

Great reminder since I just lost it with my kids...Christ would have handled that so different. In a more calm and loving way. Lord please help me when I am being pulled in 4 different directions at the same time to remember that whatever I do in word or deed do it all to your glory.
Thanks!

Mich said...

Amen sister!

Kristen said...

Beautiful post! I agree that sometimes when speaking we can get lost behind the words or confuse people and that obviously isn't the goal here :)

MomE said...

This is so spot on girl! Thank you for the reminder. We've been trying to set a tone of worship, especially on Sundays, for our kids...before we ever leave for church in the morning. It really has made a difference...to how we treat the entire day, the music, the message,etc. Worship Him in Spirit and in Truth!!

"Rachel" said...

I love that you linked 2 of my favorite verses ever in this post.

My answer: yes! Our lives should be worship, not just the time we spend in services. In Rom 12 we're instructed to present our bodies as living sacrifices, and that this is our spiritual act of worship. We should strive for our hearts to always praise Him and our actions to always glorify Him.

Kelly said...

This is a great post! I totally agree with you. Our lives should be worship, not just time at church. We need to always seek to glorify him in everything we do.

Thanks for sharing this great reminder!

Kari said...

good post. worship is essential and it should be at the heart of all we do. one part of worship is music and song - but it's not all of it. glad you brought this point up today.

Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought said...

Yes, it should all be worship. Lovely point. Stated well.
~ Wendy

Shannon said...

Thanks so much!! This is so very true. I think we all need to praise and worship God in everything we do.
Great post to start off my day :-)

3 Blessings said...

SO TRUE! Our lives should all be about the worship, just like your header says, every second, every hour, every day!
Blessings friend,
Amy

Deborah Ann said...

I'm with you, it's all worship! I see you have a Compassion button. Where can I get one of those? I browsed Compassion's website, and didn't see any there. We have two kids in Brazil, and I'd love to pass on the blessing.

you're invited to join me:

www.heavenlyhumor.blogspot.com

Humor and God, what a combination! While you're there, sign up to play a game I'm hosting next week. It will be heavenly!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Yes, it should all be worship! Great truth; glad God "dug" this one up for reflection. We all should be "doing worship" in our isolated moments and in moments of corporate worship.

peace~elaine