9.25.2009

caffeinated randomness: A Lamp Unto My Feet


“Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
Psalm 119:105 KJV

Wednesday night at our Youth Night we sang some awesome songs... (as usual). But, I got super excited when Josh started to strum familiar chords on his guitar and the words to “Thy Word” came on the screen! It’s one of my favoritest songs EVER! J I was all set to launch in to singing when I noticed Josh’s wife, Sarah, walking to the podium with a small book in her hand. As Josh lightly strummed the chords, Sarah began to read from a devotional book. I don’t remember all she read, but one line really stuck out at me ... “God promises us a lamp unto our feet to light the path before us. He does not promise us a crystal ball to see into the future.” How true! How many times have I complained that the path wasn’t lit well enough? How many times have I begged to know what’s in store for me miles up the road? Too many to count. Later on, Sarah and I were talking about the devotional she read. She said that it occurred to her that a lamp doesn’t give off a huge amount of light – it’s not like a flashlight that we can point farther down the way to see what’s coming up. The lamp (God’s Word) will illuminate where we are right now and help prepare us to rely on the lamp in the future. But, it can’t tell us what’s ahead in the road.

This may seem a little like a bummer. But, think about two things. First, what would it be like if we didn’t have the lamp of God’s Word? We would be stumbling around in the darkness – tripping, falling and hurting ourselves. We wouldn’t be able to see anything (the good or the bad) and we’d be lost in a sea of black loneliness. Second, what if we did have a crystal ball? We wouldn’t ever need to rely on the lamp of God’s word. We’d have it all figure out on day one. We may know what’s coming up, but we probably wouldn’t see our need for God and would walk through life thinking we’re totally self sufficient. (We all know what a joke that is!) Worse yet, if we could see all that God has for us on our path of life, it would probably scare us! We would see the good things, yes. But, we would also see the trials He wants us to go through for our growth and edification. If we could see those, we may not stay on the path! We might run screaming in the other direction to avoid the pain of the trial (even if we knew we’d be better for it in the end.)

God truly does know best. He knows the way we work. He knows just how easily we can fall and He made His Word a lamp and not a crystal ball on purpose. It’s for our good and His glory! He loves us and delights in our fellowship. He wants us to lean on Him for every single step.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.

When I feel afraid,
And think I’ve lost my way.
Still, you’re there right beside me.
Nothing will I fear
As long as you are near;
Please be near me to the end.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.

I will not forget
Your love for me and yet
My heart forever is wandering.
Jesus by my guide,
And hold me to your side
And I will love you to the end.
Nothing will I fear
As long as you are near;
Please be near me to the end.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
And a light unto my path.
You're the light unto my path.

~Amy Grant


visit Andrea for more caffeine!:)
image signature

9 comments:

Lois Lane II said...

What a great perspective! I like the idea that the lamp just shows the light of where we are now. =) So true!

He & Me + 3 said...

That was awesome and this post reminds me of a Stormie Omartian book I once read called just enough light for the step i'm on. How true...that is all we need. Just enough light.
BEautiful.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Hi Lauren -- you have a wonderful blog that I am slowly working my way through, but one thing puzzles me.

I had been away from Blogland for a while and am just now easing my way in, so I was catching up on my Google Reader, where I saw a beautiful post you wrote that I very much related to--it was called Pray While I take a Break. I wanted to leave you a comment, but it seems you have removed that post. Why would you do that? I think it would have spoken volumes of encouragemnt to many hearts.

Sometimes it's good to post about the struggles too so people can see your human side.

I'll be back soon to read some more.

Alicia said...

Great post again, Lauren! So true, He gives us enough light that we may not trip up. Even though we will, He's still right there to get us back on track!

Mich said...

I remember having that tape of Amy Grant, with that song on it when I was young. It was the closet thing to a praise and worship song we had back in the day. I loved it then and think it is still powerful today.

Love your insight. Great post.

Andrea said...

I love that - what a great reminder for this girl who constantly bugs God to just tell me what He's up to already!

crittyjoy said...

What a great perspective. It really is so true when you think about it.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Steve said...

Like the post. This is my first time here. I'm sure glad I don't have a crystal ball, I may not like what I see. The future, I can already see some of it in my mind,
but only the part where my life's journey is over here. Sometimes I try to walk the dark path without that lamp unto my feet, and that makes for a long walk. May God bless you, and your family

Tabitha@ichoosebliss.net said...

Very inspiring post! Knowing He is here to light up our now is deeply inspiring.