10.19.2009

Faith...

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
Hebrews 11:1

I have always loved this verse from Hebrews, but never read it in the KJV before. I have an NIV Bible and I do love it, but there are times when it just doesn’t do a particular verse the poetic justice it deserves! This is one of those cases. I read the book Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose last week. She quoted Hebrews 11:1 in the KJV and I was blown away! Why had I never read it like that before? Maybe I had, but it just didn’t have the effect it does now. That happens to me a lot. I will have read certain verses or passages many times in the past – but one day I’ll read it again and God will just open my eyes in a brand new way. It’s marvelous when that happens!

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for…” I love that – the substance of things hoped for. Webster defines substance as being “a fundamental or characteristic part or quality” of something. Therefore – faith is fundamental to hope. Without faith there cannot be hope. Hope cannot exist on its own. In order to have hope you must have belief and trust in Jesus Christ.

Faith is “the evidence of things not seen.” I love this too! How can there be evidence of something that is not seen? The evidence is internal usually. It is the work accomplished in your heart and soul. It is the strengthening of faith and the building of your hope and faith. Faith is the very thing that gets us through difficult circumstances because it is our lifeline. Because of faith we know there is a God and that He loves us. We know that His word is true and He is faithful to keep all His promises. Therefore, we know that He will never leave us or forsake us and we have the evidence of that truth in our faith and the joy and peace that faith manifests in our hearts.

Faith is the basis for everything we do. (At least it should be) Faith should be our foundation as Christians. Without it we crumble and fall. With our firm foundation of faith in Christ we possess the power of hope in things not seen. When I am in pain or feeling grief I cannot see God. But, He is there and I know that because His word tells me so. Then I choose to trust and praise Him in my hurts. That is evidence of things not seen.

Is there something in your life that you need to surrender to your faith in Christ? I encourage you to look at your situation with new eyes. Look at it through the eyes of faith and hope – you will see more of God than you ever imagined and He will bless you with the strength to carry on one day at a time.


Photobucket

9 comments:

Mich said...

A favorite verse of mine!

Alicia said...

This is the third time I've read about faith this morning! First, in my devotion, and twice on blogs! Okay, Lord..I know you're trying to tell me something!!!

3 Blessings said...

Love this!!! You know I am praying...
Blessings,
Amy

Franchesca Cox said...

I love how the KJV says that verse, too! I love that - the evidence of things not seen. Makes me think of Jenna perfect and whole today. And you are so right, that without faith, hope cannot survive. I'd never thought of it like that before. Thank you, Lauren for sharing this.

xx

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Faith has been my complete requirement these days. Over the summer, I participated in an intentional time of consecration before the Lord. I've probably told you this before; forgive if I have. Anyway, faith was my "issue"; a clear word from God to me that my faith wasn't matching up with my speech. Since that time, he's been hammering the point home in huge ways!

I'm learning...

I also love what the ESV study notes says about this verse (a "settled confidence" in things unseen).

Time to settle the matter of our confidence, don't you think?

peace~elaine

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow...That is awesome. I love that whole chapter of Hebrews!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

I am working on building my faith now, Lauren. God is calling me to a higher level of belief and I thank you for the post today - so glad the Spirit led you and you obeyed!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

I guess this is hit #3. They (whomever they are) say that God speaks in threes...or sometimes...or maybe I'm just mixing that up with people dying in threes. At any rambling rate, I wrote a post based on seeing the verse Heb. 11:1 twice in one day...not just twice but immediately following each other on two different blogs. I know the Lord was speaking regardless how many times that verse came. So, I had a reader today direct me to your blog b/c you also shared this verse.

How awesome.

Your blog is beautiful...love the layout.

Now I'm going to peruse around a little more.

I welcome you to visit me and read my post on "It's Not About Seeing".

Sweet blessings,
Paula

Steve said...

Good post. You know, without faith, we can not please God. My faith sometimes is weak, and other times its strong. I wonder what causes that sometimes? I have two sons that are 34 & 31, and they are lost. I've told the Lord before, Lord, their in your hands, and still from time to time my faith is weak, and I wonder if they'll ever be saved. I sure would like to see that day before my time is at hand. I know that the Lord has done His part, and its up to them now. This gives me something to work at, FAITH.
Thanks so much for the visit, and comment, and this post. God bless