11.19.2009

For the love of all things Africa!!

Something that most of you wonderful readers don’t know about me is that I have always had a deep fascination with Africa. I never could figure out why, but everything about it captures my interest. I see pictures in the National Geographic and I am drawn to them, I heard stories about missionaries and something in my heart would clinch. I have felt this yearning for Africa for years now, but had no clue what to do with it! John has dealt with the same thing. This interest, fascination, passion … this heart for a land and a people that we’ve never seen! John and I have talked extensively about missions. Are we supposed to be missionaries in Africa? We’ve prayed about it, but never felt a leading in that direction. When we started praying about adoption from Ethiopia it felt like the missing puzzle piece … like it finally all made sense! That’s why we both felt this deep love for Africa and her people – our son is going to be born in that land! My passion for Africa has only increased as we’ve moved forward in our adoption process … and I hope that continues! Our prayer is that this is only the first step – that we will always be involved and advocating for the people and children in Africa.
So… given that I LOVE Africa and all things involved with Africa – here’s a little Africa love to share with you!

Amy Bottomly has an adorable son Silas that she and her husband Josh adopted from Ethiopia AND they are #2 on the unofficial wait list for their little girl! : ) She is hosting a giveaway on her blog today … the prize is beautiful jewelry from junkposse featuring necklaces with Africa shaped pendants.

My friend Amy wrote a beautiful post about part of their adoption journey today at Exemplify. Amy is # 26 on the wait list for their baby boy, Elijah. Read about it here.

Kristi Johnson and her family adoption the cutest little girl you’ll ever see! Her name is Lucy Lane, and they made a video of their “gotcha day” which you must see!! Grab some Kleenex first, though! Also, check out Kristi’s blog to see some great T shirts advocating for the orphans!



And last but not least … this is one of my favorite songs ever! Michael W Smith performs this with the African Children’s Choir – these children are amazing!!



I hope you fall in love with Africa today! : )

12 comments:

3 Blessings said...

Thank you friend. I just wrote a post that I have banked about all of the puzzle pieces that finally make sense. Isn't it amazing to look around and see how all of the pieces fit together in a way that only God could create. I love it!
Blessings,
Amy

Kristi J said...

thanks so much for posting our video..I feel so honored every time I see it somewhere being used for God's purpose to spread the word of adoption...so excited!! What a great post...thank you again..I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness and caring heart!! kj

Jeff and Sylvia Case said...

Wow..... When you said to grab the Kleenex first, you weren't kidding!

He & Me + 3 said...

Thank you for sharing all of this. That video was precious. Their faces when they got to meet Lucy Lane for the first time was so priceless and joyful. Just beautiful. What a blessed little girl and now family. Oh she is beautiful!
Makes it so exciting for what you have to look forward too with your precious boy. VEry soon!

Shonni said...

Thank you for sharing this...I have also always had a passionate love for Africa...my parents said even when I was young I showed my passion then. And now we are bringing home our 4th little gift from Africa. Every time I am in Africa, I think I love her more...must be a GOD Thing...LOL

Faith Imagined said...

I love hearing your excitement about Africa. I wanted to adopt as well from India, and I had my heart set on it. But God brought me through some circumstances and I realized that adopting is just not in the cards for me and my husband. This was a shock because I thought all Christians should adopt!

But God is showing me there are other ways that I can help with adopting. My husband and I decided that we want to help others adopt, and you were our first offering!

I call it the "Lina Hope Fund," which is what I wanted to name our girl. It means "connecting hope."

BTW - love that song by Michael! We saw him in concert, and he was amazing!

Karen said...

I have also had a "heart" for Africa since I was 11 years old. I thought that I would go there as a missionary, but I have never been. I have had the privilege of sending a little support to orphanages there. God bless you in your adoption process.

lori said...

Girl...I'm in tears. I fell in love with Africa a few years ago through some amazing children in Uganda...I pray that this journey will bring your baby home...

I'm praying!

peace,
lori

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh, you were right! I totally needed kleenex. That little girls smile lights up the room!!! What a great video documenting the time before they got her, and her coming home!!!

Kristin said...

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your comment earlier :)

I think this is so neat how the puzzle piece was found! I cried watching Lucy Lane's video too and I will check out the other links I haven't visited before. Adoption is such a blessing!!

T. J. Knowlton said...

Well, it is not hard to fall in love with those little faces. Thank you for teaching us all of these beautiful life stories. I am so excited about your journey. Blessings, Lauren!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, that just nearly tore me up! Now I can better pray for your gotcha day...

peace~elaine