11.16.2009

Send me!!


Yesterday, while sitting in church, I received the greatest word picture of what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. Our pastor told a story and at the end gave this analogy…


It’s like you’re on a train. You’ve bought your ticket and had it punched. Now you’re on the train as it speeds down the tracks and you’ve got no control. You are going where the train goes – there is no stopping it, and no turning back. The people on the platform may sympathize for a moment and then move on – but for you, this is life. This is it!

Saying yes to God isn’t an easy thing to do. Surrender never is. It’s a sacrifice – a giving up of our own desires. When we choose to become a follower of Jesus Christ we are saying that we will go wherever He sends us. We’ll do whatever he asks. We go where He is. That’s not always easy – and rarely glamorous.

He is usually found …

  • In the slums of Manila with the wife trying to find clean water for her family
  • Sitting with the old homeless man who we pass by every day
  • Comforting the grieving widow
  • Reaching out to the angry teen
  • Spending time with the lonely single mother
  • In an orphanage in a 3rd world country – wrapping His arms around the malnourished orphan
And while He’s there – loving on those who WE should be loving on too – His Spirit is on the move. Pressing on the hearts of those who call themselves His follower. Asking a question. “Who will I send?” May we always answer with Isaiah, “Here I am Lord. Send me!”

Let’s get our ticket punched, get on the train, and go – no turning back!

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'"
Isaiah 6:8

10 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

In the middle of the night, I often hear the sound of trains close by, making their way through here to somewhere. When I hear the familiar chug and occasional whistle, I always imagine myself being there, on there, moving in freedom and light to a new destination with God.

It's the wanderer, searcher in me... ready to go when God sends.

Send me, Father, this week, where you will; give me eyes and ears and a will to follow as you lead!

peace~elaine

Kristin said...

That's a great analogy!

Franchesca Cox said...

Well said, Lauren! That is a great analogy and really makes me think how much of myself and my life I have surrendered or is it all or nothing... ? I hardly know. Thanks for sharing this!

He & Me + 3 said...

That was awesome...so true...we need to be willing to be used where ever for the Lord.

hrgottlieb said...

Charitable donations may no longer be strong enough to provide for all of a church's needs anymore. If you need to explore Church Fundraising options I would strongly recommend Easy Fundraising Ideas as a great resource for high profit and no upfront cost fundraisers.

Alicia said...

Amen!!! It's always a blessing to be used by the Lord!

T. J. Knowlton said...

Courageous. Abundant. I love your word picture. This is certainly not a post for the faint of heart. Thanks, Lauren.

Kim said...

I just wanted to say hi. You left a comment on my blog a couple weeks ago and I've been wanting to say thank you since then. I love your blog. I think adoption is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't have 5 of my cousins with out it! Now I'm off to look at coffee because I think I'm in need of some.

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

This is a beautiful word picture of what surrender looks like! God's train! And the destination is beyond our wildest dreams!

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Awesome word picture! I love it. I also loved all the examples you gave. It really put a face on the many limbs of the body of Christ. Because we're not all called to do all things, but we're called to DO what He calls us to do, whether that's minister to teens or orphans or foreign nonbelievers or widows and nursing home residents. What would the world look like if the American body of Christ really sought where He wants our hands to be and concentrated every effort on doing it the the fullest extent of our strength for His glory?