11.05.2009

Straight into my heart...

Did you know:
*There are approximately 5 million orphans in a country less than twice the size of the state of Texas
*Between 60-150 million kids live on the streets
*One in six children die before their fifth birthday
*One in ten children dies before their first birthday
*Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school; 88% will never attend secondary school
*In the 1980's one million Ethiopians died of starvation
*Some areas still practice female circumcision
*82% of the population survives on less than 1 dollar a day
*Only 24% of households have access to safe drinking water
*Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000
*Children and family are honored above all else
*1 in 3 people are HIV+, the average life expectancy is 37?

Here are some verses that are speaking to my heart…

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress”
James 1:27
“Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me”
Matthew 18:5

“He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD”
Psalm 113:9
“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.”
John 14:18

"Lift up your eyes and look about you: All assemble and come to you; your sons come from afar, and your daughters are carried on the arm. Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy; the wealth on the seas will be brought to you, to you the riches of the nations will come.”
Isaiah 60:4-5

Tune in tomorrow to find out why! : )

10 comments:

Denise @ A Sacred Longing said...

Oh Lauren...I am getting goosebumps! Can't wait to see why!

Shalom,
Denise

T. J. Knowlton said...

Ok. I can't stand suspense. You are killing me with this beautiful message and your teasing. Oh, I will be back!!! You are going somewhere with all of this.

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

:) I can't wait to see your post!!!

Alicia said...

Those statistics are heartbreaking...

I look forward to your post tomorrow, Lauren.

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

This breaks my heart and I know it breaks our Father's heart. Those verses are so filled with His love for the orphans and His call to all of us to love them as well. I am looking forward to your next post!!!

Shonni said...

It is so nice to meet you. That last verse from Is. has always meant to much to me. I pray you hold you little one very soon!

Franchesca Cox said...

These facts are so heartbreaking. I am definitely curious!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Lauren - I attended a Mercyme concert last week and signed up to sponsor a child through Compassion - my little girl is from Ethiopia! THis is so exciting = can't wait to see what happens next.

crittyjoy said...

Oh I am so excited to see what your news is!

Those statistics are heartbreaking. Oh what we can do for the least of these. I am praying for those sweet children. Every day.

He & Me + 3 said...

Those numbers are startling. Wow. Heartbeaking for sure.Thank you for sharing. I will be back tomorrow.