11.12.2009

Those cold cold waters!!!

Yesterday was Veteran's Day, VMI Founder's Day (rah rah Va Mil!!), anddddddd the anniversary of my baptism!!! I was baptized two years ago yesterday in the Maury River in Lexington, Va. It was an incredible experience!

One of John's classmates, Jason, was in town for the weekend having just returned from Afghanistan. He was over for breakfast after John picked him up from the airport. In our discussion he mentioned that he wanted to be baptized and was going to have Chap (our chaplain/pastor) do it on Sunday. I had been praying about it for a couple years - so I mentioned that I wanted to be baptized too, and would he mind if I joined in? He was delighted and so ...

on a freezing November day we stood by the edge of the river


shivering and shivering, until....

 
down into the waters I went!!! 

When I came back up it took several tries to get air in my lung - THAT'S how cold it was!!! It was such an incredible experience, though. I wouldn't trade it for any August day. I was so blessed to be able to have John baptize me with Chap. 

I would like to add as a side note: Jason is an Army Ranger (mountain division) who had just returned from war. When he walked out into the water the first time he came running out screaming about how cold it was! The second time was the charm though and, after borrowing John's sandals, he was able to go through with it.  Here is where I would like to point out that I did it the FIRST time in the water. No backing down for me! So - here's what I deduce: I am tougher than a mountain division army ranger!!!!! : P

15 comments:

Victoria said...

So awesome and so hilarious, too! I'm glad to be "part" of your special moment before the Lord!

Shonni said...

Wow what a fun memory! and cute pictures!

He & Me + 3 said...

Lauren,

That is so awesome. I think River baptisms are the best...so like how the baptized in the Bible. So great that John got to help. What a beautiful experience for you both.

3 Blessings said...

That is so cool! Thank you for sharing your experience and I have no doubt that you are tougher :)
Blessings,
Amy

Kristin said...

Hee hee!!! Awesome!!! I think that is so neat!!

Brookie said...

Thanks for sharing, Lauren. I once jumped in the Maury on Valentine's Day... not for a baptism (just for fun) but it was cold. :)

I hope your day is very blessed.

(I'm going to Drew Davenport's wedding this weekend... Drew was my class... attend Chapel with our W&L group each week my Sr year. Drew, Adam and I were all prayed over the same Sunday. Even if you don't remember him, please pray for his marriage. He's marrying a woman I'm excited to meet named Allison).

Bobbi said...

I knew you were tough! HA! I was baptized in a river too...and the current was strong and almost swept me away...weeeee! HAHA! Praise God for my (our) Redeemer!

Alicia said...

Awesome picture!!

LOL, and yes you are!!

Andrea said...

yay! That's so awesome - being baptized AND being tougher than a army ranger!

Kristin said...

Hey Lauren! I just did a little post about you, but I noticed your button wasn't working. I added http:// right before the laurenalexis1 and it's working now. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

T. J. Knowlton said...

I totally knew that you were tougher than any army ranger. Congratulations on your birthday in Christ! That is something to celebrate.

Kim said...

Love these photos. Our kids were baptized in a lake. And my hubby is a (former) US ARMY Ranger. Love the connections!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Any day is a good day for a baptism...

Praise the Lord!

peace~elaine

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Loved the pictures!

And men can be the biggest babies sometimes. :)

Katie said...

Awesome!