12.01.2009

{The Sights of Christmas}

Today I am linking up with Joye who is hosting a beautiful meme about the senses of Christmas. This week is

{The Sights of Christmas}

It's no secret by now that I love the Christmas season - and much of that joy, excitement, and wonder is prompted by what I see. We have a tradition in our family of decorating the house for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. While the rest of the world is out shopping in a mad rush of people on Black Friday, we're listening to our favortite Christmas CD's, sipping hot chocolate, hanging garland, putting lights around the tree, and stringing popcorn. It's delightful!

This year I am especially enjoying my mantle.

We have put our Willow Tree Nativity scene up (thank you Grandma! and then John hung garland and strung lights. My Grandma knows how much I love Willow Tree and she spent three years buying us different pieces of the Nativity ... last year she completed the set. I love how Mary is holding the baby Jesus ...



We usually have an old wooden sign that says "Home Sweet Home" above our mantel. But, I wanted something a little more focused on Christ to go above the nativity. So, last night I crafted together a sign that says "Believe" and then hung it with ribbon. Just below that I hung Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given." I really do love what some old sheet music, paper, glitter, and ribbon can do! I think it puts your focus on what Christmas is really all about - what do you think?


Last but not least -- I love our special stocking hung this year. We always hang our homemade quilted stockings that I made for us in our first year of marriage. But this year we added one more ... I made a third stocking for our little boy being grown in Ethiopia. I went out and bought this giraff not long after we decided to adopt. I saw it on a shelf and thought of our future son and had to get it! I hope it will be his special friend someday very soon. This stocking reminds us that our son is very with us this Christmas ... in our hearts for now, but hopefully in our arms next Christmas.


What are your favorite sights of Christmas? Link up with Joye to join in!

14 comments:

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

Lauren, I LOVE your nativity scene and the BELIEVE banner is just fabulous!! I love your idea to make it on old pages of sheet music! Wow, it is truly beautiful!

Thanks so much for linking up and sharing with us!!

Terri said...

I love Willow Tree and have admired their nativity for years! Your decorating ideas are wonderful! Love the believe banner, what a great touch to finish it off. Enjoyed reading!

Jenilee said...

I would love to get that willow tree set. a friend of mine has it and it is just beautiful! your mantle looks great! enjoyed reading about your Christmas!

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness, willow tree are my most favorite things ever! I have a collection of them too, but I don't have the nativity scene. I need it!! :) I love the way everything turned out and I can't wait until the day when we get to see your little one holding his giraffe!!

Alicia said...

Everything is beautiful, Lauren!!!!! I love all the personal touches!!!

Lois Lane II said...

How pretty! You are a natural decorator!

He & Me + 3 said...

Beautiful Lauren. I love that sign. It is so festive around your house. Love it.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I have that same Nativity set; mine doesn't look nearly as contemplative and beautiful as yours. Lovely decorations, Lauren, and the "believe" sign adds a special touch. Do you hire out?

peace~elaine

3 Blessings said...

I love your nativity at the center of your decor. I also love that your baby boy already has his own stocking. We have added one to our mantle for Elijah too. It makes me feel like he is here in a small way.
Blessings,
Amy

crittyjoy said...

Beautiful.

When my sister in law came to Christ 2 years ago this Christmas that was the one thing she wanted...the Willow Tree Nativity Set. Last year while searching one of my favorite gift stores I found the whole set for a wonderful price. My Mom and I split the cost and that is what she got to celebrate her 1st Birthday as a Believer :)

I love the Believe banner you did...it is so beautiful...as are you my friend.

Jennifer said...

We have the same tradition on decorating for Christmas while everyone else is mad rush shopping... I love it! Your third stocking is adorable!! :)

T. J. Knowlton said...

Oh, you have made me want cocoa and slippers. Your home looks so welcoming for Christmas. I love your third stocking! From your nativity to your sheet music, you spell the meaning of Christmas. Blessings.

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

I hope to one day purchase the Willow Tree nativity; their pieces are just gorgeous!

LOVE your banner!

Jayme said...

We recieved the Willow Tree Nativity as a wedding present and I have been so excited about putting it up since then!
I love your banner....we are going tree-less this year and you've given me insparation for decore!