1.11.2010

I am a handmaiden

Do you ever wonder why you just don’t feel effective? I have. Many times. Too many times. I have this desire to serve the Lord, but there are times when I feel like I am just utterly failing. Things aren’t happening - I’m doing a horrible job. It’s just not coming together. I have wondered WHY??? Why would this be happening?!


Perhaps it’s because I don’t understand my role. I am the servant – He is the master. I am the clay – He is the potter. I can do nothing without him. As the servant I must wait for God to instruct me in order to serve Him. There will be some things that I just know I must do, but I do not possess the resources to accomplish these tasks. Any household servant would know that there must be food on the table three times a day. But, if the master doesn’t supply the servant with money to buy groceries then he can’t complete his task! He doesn’t have the resources on his own. He is entirely dependent on the master – even to be a servant!

It is the same in our relationship with God. I am entirely dependent on God to give me the ability to serve Him. I cannot be effective on my own. I can’t successfully lead a girl’s Bible Study without getting supplies from the Lord. He must give me the wisdom, patience, grace, understanding, compassion, love, and endurance to faithfully serve Him.

And guess what? He will do it. If we wait upon the Lord He will fill us with everything we need to serve Him all the days of our lives. The only thing required on our side is the knowledge that we are weak, inadequate, and entirely dependent on Christ. We just look to Him … He will come.

“As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he shows us his mercy.”
Psalm 123:2

12 comments:

Kristin said...

I never thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense! Thank you for that!!

Jim and April said...

Amen girl! Thanks for this post! I needed this!

Alicia said...

This was awesome, Lauren!!

So true..we can't do anything on our own...

Amy said...

Thank you for this post. Seriously, just what I needed to hear today :)

3 Blessings said...

Thank you friend for this beautiful post.
Blessings,
Amy

Brookie said...

Good post, Lauren. Thanks for sharing your revelations.

He & Me + 3 said...

What a wonderful post. I want to be flexible like clay in the Father's hands...His will not mine. Sometimes easier said than done, but to have that thought in our minds at all times will reminds us that He is the Master & I need Him!

Kristen said...

what an awesome post! Thank you!

crittyjoy said...

This is an excellent post.

And a wonderful reminder for those times I feel like that.

I am starring this one for later reading...again and again :)

Tracy said...

I really like that, my friend. I love your analogy. That will stay with me. Blessings.

Faith Imagined said...

What an awesome way to describe our relationship with God!

-Alisa Hope

natali said...

wow, what an amazing post!