1.07.2010

What’s on my bulletin board…

My husband took a break from our regular lesson plan for Sunday School last week and did a New Year’s edition. He gave everyone a list of the top 10 New Year’s resolutions … then shared the fact that 97% of people who make resolutions DON’T keep them. We talked for awhile about why that is. Here’s the truth – we can do NOTHING in our own strength. Also, most resolutions are self centered and we don’t do such a fantastic job of fixing ourselves. So, we came to the conclusion that the only thing worth resolving to do is focus on God. Spend more time with Him, in His Word, in prayer, and in service to others. As a result, those other things in our lives that we’re hoping to fix just might be affected!

I’ve never made New Year’s resolutions … but this year I thought I would set aside some monthly goals instead. It feels more “doable” to me. So, here’s what’s on my bulletin board:



The first two are self explanatory. The third is my desire for this blog. I may already do it, but I just want to be absolutely sure – there’s no point in keeping this blog up if I am not glorifying the Lord! I am hoping to finish our dossier by the end of the month … I’d love that waiting list number by February – but it doesn’t all rest in our hands. I was planning on keeping an adoption journal, but life is just a little too crazy for that! Instead, I want to start writing Tucker letters that he can read someday when he’s older. The last 3 are for my own health. I’ve got to start somewhere! I don’t know what the exercise thing will look like with my endometriosis … but I am going to start small! I’ve been cheating way too much lately in the food department and I can tell that it’s taking a toll on my health – I’m feeling sick pretty often now. So, it’s back to the very careful diet for me!

“grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."
2 Peter 3:18

10 comments:

3 Blessings said...

Great goals!
Blessings,
Amy

Kristin said...

I think those goals sound great!

Lois Lane II said...

I think we all cheat around Christmas time because there are so many yummy foods! Good for you, though, to start fresh and have clear goals for your health -- spiritual and physical!

Jim and April said...

your so right! Thanks for this reminder! If we keep our focus on God and grow in Him...as He continues to form us to the image of His Son, the things in our lives will probably shape and get better!

Alicia said...

I agree. We could do nothing in our own strength.

I think that is a great list!!

Tracy said...

I look forward to being spiritually nourished by your two a weeks. How exciting. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Amie said...

Lauren,
I stumbled on your blog and felt an immediate connection since I could have written some of the same posts myself. We are adopting from Ethiopia also and seem to be just about on the same timeline, expecting our home study to be submitted next week and trying to finish up our dossier. I also have a hx. of pretty severe endometriosis & surgery and am trying to start exercising. It always seems to trigger more pain but I am hopeful that if I stick with it this time, it will eventually get better. Anyways, good luck with all of your goals for the new year! My blog has been mainly for my photography business but I am planning to use it more to share about our adoption if you are interested. www.AmieLizPhotography.com

crittyjoy said...

Wonderful list. That is why I like calling mine hopes and then making goals for them. It really seemed a whole lot doable to me too.

What a wonderful thought of your Tucker reading those letters one day!

Carrie said...

I hung out at your blog the other day and meant to come back to leave a comment - what a beautiful blog!!! ;)

Looks like you like to digi-scrap, too! That, international adoption, food allergies, and loving the Lord - four things in common already! ;)

I look forward to following your journey to Tucker! Have a blessed weekend!

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Lauren, these are all wonderful goals. Praying for your health and healing!

(And be assured, every single one of your posts glorifies the Lord - not just 2 a week!) :)