2.02.2010

snow weekend fun!!

It finally happened! WE GOT SNOW!! I have missed the snow so much this winter! It snowed every year, multiple times, in Lexington and we loved it. But since our move to the beach last summer we have been in snow withdrawal. Even when the rest of the state got nearly two feet of snow ... we got rain. All was made right again when we woke up Saturday morning to this...


We ended up getting nearly a foot of snow as it just kept coming all day Saturday. Walking to church was an adventure Sunday morning - but I wore John's old combat boots and made it there with dry feet! : ) No - you are not going to see a picture of that!

So what did we do all while snowed in all weekend? Made my dining room dreams come true, that's what! We turned our beige blah...


Into blue/green beautifulness w/ chocolate and white accents...



(John took this last picture and says he loves the "layers" in it ... hmmm, photographer in the making??)

I painted the hutches espresso brown first, then cream delight over that. My arms were too tired to do any sanding by the end of it, but we're going to sand the edges quite a bit to let the brown show through and give them a wonder antique/junky look. I'm also on the lookout for some white and chocolate brown plates to put on display ... ones with cool designs (maybe florals?) Also, notice the chandelier at the top of the picture ... it was an ugly brassy gold, but spray paint is my new best friend! It's now a wonderful chocolate brown and it makes me so happy! (re-assembly and re-hanging it did not make me happy.) The walls are a marvelous light blue color, and we're planning on wainscotting the bottom half in the future. It went from boring and blah ... to bright and beautiful in just 2 days!! : )

I finished Sunday evening and then John called from the back of the house ... "Lauren - guess what? The University is closed tomorrow ... no work and no class!!" WOOHOO We had a day for true relaxation yesterday ... and IT. WAS. WONDERFUL!!!! : )

19 comments:

3 Blessings said...

It looks fabulous. Great job! So glad you got a day to relax too.
Blessings,
Amy

kara with a k said...

Oh how I love a snow day too! They are the best!!

Your dining room is heavenly!! So beautiful, inspiring me to do some painting in my bedroom (which is sorely needed).

Kristin said...

It looks beautiful, Lauren! That's funny about John and photography......you do have a very special little boy on the way to take lots of pictures of!

Amy said...

The room looks great! I love the color!

Kelly said...

Wow, the room looks amazing!!! Paint adds so much to a room! Yay for the snow! We only got sleet and rain here in alabama.

Melinda said...

Glad you got your snow fix! I've had all I can handle...with more snow forcasted for this weekend...ugh!!!

Your makeover looks fabulous! What a talent you have!

Andrea said...

Yay for snow AND room makeovers!

Pilar said...

I love what you did with the room! I can't wait to get our home so I can decorate all over.... I watch HGTV too much and have way too many ideas!

Struggler said...

You made a wonderful transformation and I'm so impressed it only took a weekend. Love the wall color!

Jayme said...

It looks wonderful!

Tracy said...

Love, love, love! I cannot believe what a difference paint makes. It looks wonderfully homey. What a great way to spend the weekend.

Love the snow shots, but I would like to see you in the combat boots. It is 73 here, today. Probably no snow for us, but I love to see the pictures.

Alicia said...

It looks beautiful, Lauren!! What a great transformation. I love those colors!

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow that looks awesome. I love it. I adore brown and light blue. So pretty. Glad you had a day to relax too. How nice.

Critty said...

Wow!! It looks so fabulous. LOVE it. I am so glad you got some snow...and a snow day!!

pk @ Room Remix said...

I love the wall color you chose! A very pretty transformation, especially in such a short period of time. Have a good day Lauren!

Joyeful said...

Lauren--it looks AMAZING!!! So light and beautiful!! I love that you painted your hutch and your chandelier, too! The result is GORGEOUS! Love it, love it, love it!!

Darlene said...

I love the new colors! and the layer pic too :)

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Gorgeous! I love it!!!

Princess Katie said...

We have such similar design styles! It's awesome!