3.18.2010

Spiritual Gifts and Your Purpose


For the past two Wednesday’s we’ve been talking about Spiritual gifts in our Youth Group. John pointed out that there are three “groupings” of gifts: Manifestations (things like prophecy, speaking in tongues, etc…), Ministry (evangelism, preaching, ect…), and Motivational. The motivational gifts are ones that everyone has at least one of. We may not have any gifts in the other 2 categories – but we are guaranteed to have at least one or more of the motivational gifts. Here they are:
Perceiver – Exhorter – Teacher – Administrator – Giver – Server – Compassion
We all filled out a very extensive questionnaire and then added up our totals to put them in a graph to see what our greatest gifts were. It was a lot of fun to see the differences in all of us and how wonderful it is because that’s what makes the body of Christ work – we’re all gifted in different areas!! We complement each other.
My top three areas were:
#1 – Compassion #2 – Giver #3 – Server

The funny thing here is that my absolute LOWEST area of gifting in administration. It’s clearly not my strength or my passion. Yet, what is my full time job? Yep, I’m an administrative assistant. Hmmmm – more to come on this next week!

My top three really didn’t surprise me much, and they were really pretty much even. They go hand in hand to me – you certainly need compassion to have a heart for giving and serving. This just seems to be woven into who I am. I’ve always been a little more sensitive than most, and that isn’t always a good thing. I was in 5th grade when I learned about the Oklahoma City Bombing from my classmates who saw it on the news. I left my classroom crying and the school nurse had to call my mom. I sat in the car with her for a long time crying and expressing my hurt over it. It’s the only memory I have of her praying with me and it’s very special to me. When I was a senior in High School and the twin towers fell, my mom called my teacher to check on me – knowing I would be devastated. She thought I might not be able to make it through the day. I did, but I’ve struggled with night terrors for the past 9 years. I can’t watch documentaries or read books about it. I internalize things too much. I feel others pain personally. It can be a hard cross to bear, but God has made me this way for a reason. I can’t see the need of others around the world then pray for them and move on. There is no moving on for me. I can’t do it! I have to help – I have to DO something. For a long time I had no idea what to do with all these feelings. I didn’t quite know who I was supposed to be and what my purpose here is… but slowly, day by day, God is showing me.
He made us all for a reason – He has a plan and purpose for all of us …

"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will."
Ephesians  1:11

What do you think your top 3 would be?

15 comments:

Darla said...

Fun. I'm always an Exhorter/Mercy in these tests, and I feel they are fairly accurate to what my giftings seem to be. Although I am naturally gifted at Administration, that one is not a spiritual gift for me. And there is another one (different test) through Abiding Life Ministries which is pretty different (based on that we are created in 3 parts, body, soul & spirit) and has three categories of Thinker, Feeler, Do-er...And I'm and Thinker/Feeler.

Franchesca Cox said...

Your results don't surprise me either :) I can totally see your strengths being compassion and serving and giving. I think it's a beautiful thing the way you've embraced who God has made you and are using it for His glory. Now I am curious about mine! I took a personality test and it was full of surprises for me.

RCUBEs said...

I think that's awesome to be aware of what God had given to each of us. That way, we can become more effective for His Kingdom as we serve Him.

I love to encourage and that's the first gift I had felt as no.1. Praying for His discernment, perceiver comes as no.2 and I'm glad He directs us as we submit to Him because I truly needed that at work. Not all times are perfect to encourage someone, so discernment became no.1 :)

God is amazing. What is not making sense at the beginning, becomes a big plan when we discover that. Glory to Him! Thank you for this info. May God bless you and continue to guide you in everything that you do.

Kristin said...

I took one of these tests online the other day and my top ones were mercy shower, giver, and exhorter. I thought that described me pretty well too. I just don't know what to do with any of it!! I am so eager to get out there and make a difference, but I don't know where to start. I get frustrated that I can't go and save the world!! Ha!

christy rose said...

I have taken these tests before too. My top three have always been perceiver, teacher, exhorter followed by compassion and giving with serving and administration bringing up the end. :)

Jim and April said...

We did something similar to that in our discovery class at church when we first joined! I think from your list mine would be exhorter, compassion and well i dont know what the third one would be! :0)

Tracy said...

How amazing you are! That is so wonderful to see, and I would have guessed some of that. You definitely are compassionate in your writing. I can't imagine being touched that deeply by others. I love that there are people like you, it gives me hope!

Heather said...

Hey Lauren, just found your blog and love it!! I am your newest follower. My spiritual gifts are Compassion, giver, and serving too! I love finding other Christian bloggers out there! So glad I found you, hope you have a great day!

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

it's funny because everytime i take one of these assessments i get completely different answers! its like i have multiple personalities. i'm (usually) a server, giver and administrator.

Alicia said...

I am totally not surprised about compassion being one of them. I totally can see that about you.

Freely Living Life said...

Hello!

We came across your site through the FF and decided to follow your blog. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts. Come on over and visit us when you get a free moment. Have a fabulous day! <3

He & Me + 3 said...

I am not surprised either by your top three.
I would be Teacher, giver, server.

Critty said...

Exhorter, Compassion, and then several all together ;)

I find it fascinating that often our spiritual gifts match up with our personality types. Our God is so creative and knows us so well.

I have friends that keep me in check with my compassion at times because of the work I do. They are a godsend.

Oh and this last Compassion trip to Kenya. Wrecked me. Hard. I am still not over it and don't think I will ever be.

Kimmie said...

to be a little off topic...

but prayer is helping.

Prayer is submitting ourselves into His hands. It is trusting Him, but it is also aligning our words, our hearts and our emotions with His. It is asking for Him to come, to reveal Himself and to come in His God Power-more than words or a simple bended knee.

Prayer isn't passive, if it is mixed with faith- it is putting you into the *action*

Perhaps, asking God to give you a fresh revelation of prayer, and how when you hear of people in need...how this Power that is released, should help to release you from the weight you are carrying.


Good to be compassionate, but not good if the enemy is using it against you. Night terrors are evil...they come from fear. Fear, that kind of fear, isn't from God, but straight from our enemy.


Please don't take it the wrong way Lauren, I speak this to you to give you a fuller peace and joy.

I totally relate to what you are saying. I have walked it too.

((hug))
Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 6 1/2 adopted

Kimmie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.