4.19.2010

Just Little Girls Playing House...

It still feels like we're just little girls playing house. We talk about curtains and paint and kitchens with a light in our eyes and excitement in our voices. We plan and create and swap ideas. We encourage and delight in each other's accomplishments. It still feels like we're playing in our pink plastic homes in over sized aprons...

We giggle and sigh when we talk about our men. We swap romance stories and plans for anniversaries. We scream over each engagement and examine each ring. We dance at each wedding and dream in our hearts. It still feels a little like playing Prince Charming and Cinderella...

We giggle and whisper when we talk about babies. Motherhood is still that dream that's oh-so-delightful and fun. We plan for our pregnancies and adoptions while we drool over booties and bibs. We squeal with joy when we hear of due dates and milestones reached. It still feels like we're playing dolls in over sized heels and dresses.

When did play become reality? Since when are we adults? Our aprons fit with real stains and splatters on them. We rarely wear heels when holding our babies... more like t shirts with milk and muddy fingerprint smudges. We don't wear and blue filmy dress in a carriage to the ball. We snuggle on couches with popcorn and a movie. But, we still giggle and whisper and plan and scheme. We still get excited over recipes, deep green eyes, wall colors, chubby cheeks, and pink toes. Our hearts still skip a beat when our men walk through the door.

Even though our age has changed and play has become reality, can't we remain six years old inside? Can't we still let our hearts be light with the joy of our calling? All those dreams we held in our childhood hands are evidence of the hope of our divine purpose. Everything we thought was so magical then is just as wonderful now...


"Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."
Mark 10:15 

Don't forget to join in tomorrow for "To Love Their Husbands Tuesdays!" 

19 comments:

Jes said...

Ah.. The joys of being 6 again. Thanks for that wonderful post. A reminder that things are just as wonderful..

Leigh said...

love this post.

isn't crazy that in months we will have little babies in our arms that will be ours forever. I mean really? I am going to be a real mom? exciting and a little bit scary at the same time :)

Amy said...

I never thought of it like that, but you're right! :)

3 Blessings said...

Great post Lauren. I learn so much about following God through my children...their hearts and their faith. They are such a beautiful reminder of being open with happy hearts to HIM.

Blessings,
Amy

(We had family visiting this weekend, so I didn't get to comment on your post Friday. I love your bubblegum picture. SO cute!)

Kristen Love said...

Yes, staying child-like IS an option! I think the best option and the one the Jesus calls us to. To have child-like faith and hope is divine.

Pilar said...

I am not sure we are √§llowed¨to stay 6 but we sure can try as often as possible so we can enjoy completly the blessings of God. when we are adults we don´t enjoy them so much because we think too much.
Loved this post, thatnks for sharing

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Beautiful thoughts, Lauren. You took me back in my mind...

I hope to live there again.

peace~elaine

christy rose said...

In so many ways, I still feel like I am six years old too! I think that is God's way of keeping us young at heart. :)

Traci Michele said...

Lauren! You made me teary :-) Good teary.

LOVED this post. I agree. Thank you for the tear-filled smile :-)

Traci

Lara said...

Great reminder to stay light hearted. Why do I feel so bogged down when I have been saved by grace and given an unimagineably joyful life? I think I will run in the sprinklers with Cade this afternoon to channel my inner six year old.

Christy said...

Such beautiful thoughts on being a child and growing up.

And wanting to still be 6 :)

Christy said...

Such beautiful thoughts on being a child and growing up.

And wanting to still be 6 :)

Alicia said...

Oh, so true, Lauren!! To be that little girl again, to know have any problems, worries, or cares like I do now!

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

i ADORE this post!!! such a great thought... i remember being little... so many dreams, joys and life just seemed so carefree! i certainly should be more like that now... especially because of that verse!

Darcie said...

Lauren I just LOVE this post. Sometimes maybe it is good to step back and realize all our dreams did come true! Thanks for making me see that.

nault's nook said...

So true! I am so blessed to be a wife and mother, and although it is not exactly how I imagined it, it is as wonderful! Thanks for this post!

He & Me + 3 said...

What a sweet & fun post. All those things that are realities now are so exciting and the joy they bring keeps us young at heart & joyful...our dreams can and do come true & He grants us the desires of our hearts.

Kelly said...

I love this post!!

Tracy said...

Yes, Yes, Yes! I think that is the wonderful thing about being mid-30. I have more license to be fun and dreamy and silly. I say that we can, and we should keep our inner 6 year old active! Thanks Lauren!