4.02.2010

Thoughts on Good Friday...

I've never quite understood why we call it Good Friday. What's so great about it? Isn't this the day Christ was was crucified? When I really think about what today symbolizes it doesn't leave me happy or with the warm fuzzies. It leaves me sad. I grieve the fact that my sin caused the most horrific torture and death of the One I love more than anything else. It breaks my heart.

A couple weeks before Easter 6 years ago I went with John to see the Passion of the Christ. It had just come out in theaters and I was pretty nervous. I knew the Biblical account of the crucifixion and I had heard that the film was pretty graphic. I was right. I sobbed through the whole thing. I came to Christ that week.

John bought the film when it came out on DVD with plans to watch it every Good Friday - to remember what it is that we're remembering. I did the first few years, and I have to say that Easter was even more joyful because the image of what it was that Christ overcame was so fresh in my mind. I don't know if we'll watch it tonight. To be honest I get a little nervous every time we do watch it because it's just so intense. But I do think it's important to realize what our Lord went through because of His unmeasurable love for us.

"How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure. That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure. How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turns His face away as wounds which mar the chosen One bring many sons to glory. Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders... ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers. It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished. His dying breath has brought me life. I know that it is finished. I will not boast in anything... no gifts, no power, no wisdom. But I will boast in Jesus Christ - His death and resurrection. Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer. But this I know with all my heart - His wounds have paid my ransom."

17 comments:

Jim and April said...

Amen sister! I was just singing that song the other day as it popped into my head! Good Friday like you said is so sad but I think its "good" Friday because without it, we could never had had the resurrection or eternal life or be adopted as children of God, which is the "good" part to me! :0)

Carrie said...

Beautiful post, Lauren, and How Deep the Father's Love For Us is one of my all time favorites! ;)

...::Mrs. Southern Bride::... said...

Love that song! Wonderful post. I am so thankful for the sacrifice that He gave for us this day so many years ago...

JillAileenJones said...

Lauren-
Thanks for the beautiful post. One of my favorite songs too. I love Easter-even a little more the Christmas which I really love as well. It is a bitter sweet thing to me too-I have hope-an eternal home and a Heavenly Father who loves me beyond all measure forever-but it breaks my heart to think that my sin caused Him to have to suffer. I got up this morning at looked at my beautiful children and thought would I have been able to sacrifice them for the sake of the world-or for as the Bible tells me even one soul? It made me cry to think of it that way. It was gloomy out when I got up today and it is how I picture it in my mind(how Good Friday was.) I picture that day to be dark and cloudy-dreary without any light-and that Easter should be the most beautiful, sunny, warm, clear day-the day He rose what a beautiful day that had to be and still is for all of us-the hope we have because of that selfless act. Praise God!
Thanks again for your post.
Happy Easter-may it be a blessed day for you and your husband.
Jill Jones
http://pathwaytopurpose-jillaileenjones.blogspot.com

Lara said...

Ha, that is too funny. Great minds think alike. I really think the song captures the essence of the crucifixion. Happy Easter!

Jennifer said...

I know what you mean. That movie is so intense. We probably feel it so intensely because we know what kind of sacrifice was made for us... for little ol' us. That His love for us was that great. We are truly blessed! Hope you have a wonderful Easter!!

Monika said...

Beautiful post Lauren! I haven´t seen this movie (my husband saw it in the cinema and told me, that it is so drastic, so I hadn´t courage), but now I found on youtube trailer and I had tears in my eyes just because the 3 minutes of watching....I felt His love, His grace, I felt HIM! I think now it´s time to see this movie for me...

Kristin said...

I went to see the movie with my Mom and Dad. I can see how it would bring you to Christ. I just don't think people really think about what He went through for us. I watched the movie for the 2nd time a few months ago. It is just so hard for me to watch. And still, it's so hard for me to truly comprehend it.

Kristen Love said...

I don't think I can ever comprehend this side of heaven what God did for us sending us Jesus to save us.
I look at my little boy and cannot imagine.
I love The Passion of the Christ...but it is so heartbraking to watch Jesus being tortured so.

Alicia said...

Oh, I know what you mean, Lauren. When we first watched it, it was very intense for us too. We weren't sure if the kids were going to be able to handle it, but they did, and I think it even gave them a better understanding of what He went through, just for us.

Have a blessed Resurrection Day!

And I look forward to seeing your Friday Photo Flashbacks..yay!

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

can i just tell you that i've often wondered the same thing about calling today "good friday?!" the passion is so very intense... i wept the whole time. but it is such a great way to really put Christ's suffering for our sin in perspective. praise God for the cross of Christ! may you have a wonderful easter weekend!

He & Me + 3 said...

We saw that movie in the theaters and I could not control my emotions. It was intense, but something that everyone needs to see...they need to realize that that is what Christ did for US. AMAZING LOVE no doubt!
Have a blessed Easter.

Pilar said...

I love that song! we surely need to remember the cost of our salvation, if we always kept this on our minds our lifes would be so different.

Critty said...

I sobbed through the whole thing. Last year on Good Friday was the first time I had watched the movie since I saw it in the theater.

So when I had the chance to put a video on my blog of those scenes with one of the most powerful songs I know I had to do it today.

I needed to remember. The sacrifice. The love.

<3

Katie said...

Amen to all of this and last night at chuch we had clips of the movie. It always makes me cry it seems to mean so much more to me as I grow in Christ. Happy Easter!!

Monika said...

Hi again, I did it!!! I saw this movie today morning. It was amazing! I really did need it! It was ... hearbreaking! I cried almost whole movie and realized, that before I could´t imagine what Jesus did for us. I couldn´t picture it. But now......this movie so helped me!!!

sanjeet said...

Love that song! Wonderful post.
post free classified ads