4.20.2010

To Love Their Husbands Tuesdays: breakfast in bed


It's already time for "To Love Their Husbands Tuesdays!" I'm so excited to begin this journey with you today. I can't wait to read about the wonderful and creative ideas you come up with to show your spouse love. If you missed the first post - click here to read all about it. Just grab a button and link up below ... let the love begin! : )

Last week I was praying about what I could do for my husband to go above and beyond. We're a very affectionate couple, so he hears "I love you" constantly and hugs and kisses are thrown in all throughout the day. (gagging yet?) But, I wanted to do more. A couple weeks ago he told me that he would really like it if the first thing I said each morning was "I love you." He was half joking because the first thing I usually groan say is, "Is there coffee?" This got my mind rolling and I thought that this week I would work on showing him more love in the mornings. The three things I came up with were:
  • Open my eyes in the morning, smile, and say "I love you"
  • Make him breakfast while he's in the shower
  • Pray for him when he leaves for work
You should know that I'm not a breakfast person - I rarely eat it. John says he's not, but he really is. He doesn't mind not eating it, but I know that it would make his morning to have a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast in front of him. I do pray for my husband, but I want to commit to doing it every morning as he is starting his day.

Challenge #1 came yesterday. It's finals week for my seminary student and he had a 12 page research paper due. He didn't come to bed until 6:30am! I was sick on Sunday and slept in myself. But, then I was wondering at 11:45am "how am I going to make this man breakfast?" So, I decided to go ahead and make bagels, scrambled eggs, and sausage anyway... at 12:30pm. I woke him up with a hot mug of coffee and a big plate of breakfast and climbed in next to him. We had a wonderful breakfast in bed at noon! Then we spent the next two ours sitting there talking and planning and praying. It was truly a wonderful time. I wonder... would I have missed out on that if I hadn't committed to finding ways to go above and beyond in showing John love? I don't know... but I do know that I don't want to miss out on ANY blessings that God has for us and our marriage.




17 comments:

Alicia said...

I bet your husband was like, "Wow!!!" You really blessed him with the breakfast in bed. That is awesome!!

Okay...I am in for sure next week!!!

Darcie said...

Bummer...I let this slip my mind...I will have to make a note of it and try and link up next Tuesday!

Kudos to you for going the extra mile for your husband Lauren! I know you touched his heart with all your effort! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us!

SnoWhite {Finding Joy in My Kitchen} said...

awesome!!

Kristin said...

That is awesome, Lauren! I think having breakfast at noon on a weekend day sounds perfect!! And now I feel hungry for bacon. Ha!

Kelly said...

That is great!! I love being a blessing to my husband!

Monika said...

Breakfast in bed - great idea! Nice post. Monika

christy rose said...

What a blessing you are to your husband.

3 Blessings said...

What a great idea and a special moment. So sweet and I am sure greatly appreciated.
Blessings,
Amy

Monika said...

Because I changed my blog a little bit - my name was changed from "life-faith-scrapbook" to "my way to the Lord" so, I want to let you all know, that it´s still me :-)))

Kimberly said...

I love that you're doing this. I was just encouraged in my Titus 2 Mentoring Moms group today to also do something like this. I love when the Lord shows you something twice - to make sure you're noticing!

So - yesterday a friend of mine and I planned a weekend getaway for our husbands - as a way to show them how much we love them. They'll have a whole weekend to camp, ATV, and just get away.

I don't know about all of your husbands - but my husband just doesn't plan alot socially. Even though - he'd love to see his friends he just doesn't get to the planning phase.

This was a really fun way to show him just how much he's loved.

Kimberly

Mc Allen said...

awww, it sounds wonderful. Im going to have to try this next week! what an awesome reminder! xoxo LA

Natalie said...

Oh my word - two hours in bed spent eating, talking, praying? Sounds like a book to me....:)

What a wonderful idea!!!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

What a great way to show your love for your husband. Thanks for sharing!

Right now, I would love to serve my husband breakfast in bed (even though I am NOT a morning person). However, due to the fact that our house hasn't sold, and my husband is pastoring a church several hours away ... we are living separately. Oh. So. Hard. He has the 2 teens and I have the 4 younger kids. So. Not. Fun.

I will follow your posts and keep notes on all of your fun and creative ideas.

We've been married almost 28 years, and we are still quite romantic and "lovey-dovey" as our children say.

Laurel :)

Meg said...

Wow Laruen, you're so inspiring! It was hard for me today to think of something I could do for Karsten that is "above and beyond" with him being 2 hours away... It will take some future planning (ie. for next week) but today I: wrote him an email this morning and told him how much I loved him and things I appreciated about him. And also, I sent him a letter yesterday with a small package of gifts. I don't think he actually got it today, but next time I'll try sending it on friday so he'll get it by tuesday. :) Then tonight when we were talking on the phone I made it a point to ask him specifically how I could be praying for him, rather than just tell him "I'm praying for you". We usually pray together on the phone, but I hoped to let him know that this isn't the only time I spend praying for him. These are all small things, and I know it is just a start, but I look forward to hearing new ideas from you and your readers! Maybe by the time we're actually married I'll be a pro!
Thanks again for your inspiration! You're awesome. :)

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

love love love this! so glad you made him breakfast! you are a wife of noble character. keep it up, girl!

Tracy said...

Oh, you know I love this little meme. I think about these little things all of the time for my hubby. Nothing used to make me more happy than seeing my husband get me through finals week in seminary. I don't miss it, but it is so awesome to have a supportive and thoughtful partner by your side! Nice work, friend.

Katie said...

I am excited to find your blog! I can't wait to participate on the Hubby love next Tuesday. Awesome!