5.12.2010

Strawberries Galore!!!

 Saturday John and I went strawberry picking at our favorite farm in Pungo... it was a great time! The day was super hot ... in the 90's, but there was a nice breeze to keep us cool. There were so many delicious, big, juicy, red berries that it was tempting to pick them all!

We restrained ourselves and just picked 15 lbs... plus a berry each while we were picking... : )

As you know, Mother's Day was Sunday and we had a cookout for my family at our house. My grandmother, mom, dad, sister, and brother in law all came over after church. We grilled chicken, and played games. It was a lot of fun. Of course I had to incorporate strawberries into the meal, so I sliced a few for the salad, and for dessert I made...

Taste of Home's Strawberry Cream Cake ... YUMMMM!!

So what did we do with the rest of our strawberries? Well, we put a lot in the freezer to use for smoothies all summer long. We kept a small bag of fresh ones to munch on for the next few days, and I made waffles with strawberry syrup for dinner on Saturday night. 

There's nothing quite so scrumptious as fresh picked strawberries ... and for some reason they just taste better when you pick them yourself! : )

Don't forget to enter in the giveaway! It ends at midnight today!

©2009 Living By Faith

13 comments:

Monika said...

They looks so delicious!!! Can I ask you for recipe of homemade strawberry syrup? Thanks :-)

Alicia said...

I love strawberry cake! That looks so delicious and refreshing!

Lara said...

That cake looks so good!

Kristin said...

Delicious!!! My girls would've been in Heaven!

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh girl...those are our favorite fruit over here. So yummy. I have always wanted to take my kids berry picking. Never have yet. I need to. I did it as a child and those are some of the best memories. Strawberries and anything is awesome. Yum to that cake.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Smoothies... I didn't think about that one; do you have a good recipe for them? I'm a complete idiot in the kitchen, so I need some ideas. We love fresh strawberries; I make freezer jam every year, with my mother's help of course. Perhaps one day I'll be able to be a bit more adventuresome in the kitchen, but for now, I'll just take some of that cake please.

peace~elaine

Angie said...

Ok Lauren...not fair. Now I am humgry!

Joyeful said...

Oh my goodieness-- that strawberry cake looks amazing!!!

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

i want to go berry picking and eat a cake that looks that good!!! mmmm!

Kelly said...

Wow, that looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Ann said...

I love Strawberries!!

Muthering Heights said...

Oh wow!!! It must have been so much fun to pick them yourselves!!

And of course, to eat the tasty results... :)

Critty said...

I am green.

Strawberries are among my favorite foods. Yum. I now want to go strawberry picking because that just sounds FUN! I am glad you had such a wonderful weekend my friend!