5.11.2010

To Love Their Husbands Tuesday: Ironing

Hello Ladies! How was your week? Did you find any new and creative ways to show love to your husband? If so, please link up because we'd love to hear about it and get some new ideas ourselves! What did I come up with this week?

I ironed his clothes. That's right. That's what I came up with to go "above and beyond" in showing love to John.

I never used to iron clothes right out of the dryer. I would fold them, or hang them up, and then we ironed things as we wore them. Part of the reason for this was our iron. It was a travel sized iron that didn't work so well and I hated using it. BUT, a couple weeks ago I went to spend a couple hours with our pastor's wife. We had some catching up to do, and while we chatted away she ironed her husband's clothes. I thought it was so sweet... but I was also very interested in her iron. I asked her all about it and the next day I went out and got myself one! I have never wanted to iron so much in my life! I was also inspired. I decided that I would start ironing clothes as they came out of the dryer, and then hang them in the closet. It took a few cycles to make a difference ... but oh the difference!

John noticed on Saturday. He went to pick his church clothes and realized all of them were already ironed. He came and found me and the look on his face was priceless! It was a mixture of awe and appreciation and delight. So cute! He went on to tell me that it meant the world to him and then he said something that blew me away... "I've been dreaming of this since we got married." What? He had been desiring that I would iron his clothes so he didn't have to worry about it since DAY 1! Why didn't he just tell me? How did I not figure it out? He said he didn't want to burden me with something so small.

Well, honey, worry no more! I will iron all your clothes with joy until my hands are paralyzed from arthritis and I can't stand over the ironing board any more. Then we'll just be two rumpled old folks. But until that day I will make your clothes smooth as can be and it's a burden free task! I am just thrilled to pieces that I have such a wonderful man to do laundry and iron for...

Link up your post below!
©2009 Living By Faith

23 comments:

Lara said...

You're so cute. I actually hung my husband's clothes up for him which was a big step for me. Usually I lay his hang-up clothes in a stack for him to hang.

Ironing...that's big time. We're Downy Wrinkle Releaser types :-)

Alicia said...

Lauren...how sweet, and then to also find out that how blessed he was!! That's motivation enough to keep on ironing!

Kristin said...

That is too cute, Lauren! I love how excited he was about it! I iron everything, but not until we're ready to wear it. I probably spend 15 minutes a day just ironing all of the clothes for us girls, but it's a habit that I wouldn't be able to break. Ha!

Lynda Young said...

I'm not a fan of ironing..I like it least out of all the household chores. So, I decided to make it part of the marriage agreement that I would never have to iron again. It was my only condition ;) Of course, I was only joking at the time, but I think I've only done it once in the 11 years we've been married. My husband actually enjoys it...strange man.

Monika said...

Lauren, it´s great post!!!

I hate ironing and I have a big mountain from clothes which needs to be iron. So probably one of next weeks this will be my TLTH-Tuesday post :-))

Stacy said...

I will iron all your clothes with joy until my hands are paralyzed from arthritis and I can't stand over the ironing board any more.




why I do not know, but that comment made me laugh hysterically ;P

I'm such a nut.

I like ironing and I think thats kinda neurotic LOL

Monica said...

Lauren,
The motive behind your ironing project is a sweet tender heart! You are doing it for the right reason, not because you have to. I enjoy ironing. It is quiet time to reflect on many things. Listen to great christian music and sing along (kind of like singing in the shower) LOL! Press on sister!

Heather said...

I've been working on something similar with my laundry (it was kind of a New Years Resolution) to stop leaving the clean clothes folded in the guest bedroom and actually put them away. I've been doing really good at it actually. I used to iron Jason's clothes for church for him, but my morning routine has changed somewhat with Christian...maybe now that he's getting older and on a better routine, I could get back into that habit. See you today!! Lu you!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What a wonderful thing to do for your husband!

Chloƫ said...

oh how sweet! that's so cute he was so excited over something so seemingly simple!

i used to iron my husband's clothes all the time (before i started working full time), but now i fear i do the "iron as you go" deal, and sometimes josiah even irons his own clothes. :(

but! you've inspired me to do better. especially since i received a wonderful iron as a wedding gift.

must...iron...more... :P

happy tuesday :)

Kathryne G. said...

What an inspiration! We have always done the iron as you go way. Right now we have a make-shift closet, so even if I did iron, things would end up wrinkled by the time we would wear them. As soon as we have our closet installed, this will definitely be a goal for me! Keep up the great work!

Lois Lane II said...

Ooooh, I need to do something like this. My husband is so sweet and amazing to me, and I don't feel I repay him enough.

Jim and April said...

oh my gosh, that is way too cute! I love how he said he's been dreaming of that since day 1! heehee! I'm glad your doing this! I want to try more and more to do things for my amazing husband too and this is a great place to get ideas!

Traci Michele said...

That is so precious Lauren! My hubby irons his clothes too (as needed)....

In the first year of marriage I actually tried several times to do this... but he kept saying he doesn't mind.

I hope he isn't secretly hoping/wishing for me to iron for him one day :-)

Great job!

Hugs,
Traci

God and Ponytails said...

I think I may have intentionally ironed so poorly for him when we first got married, he has never asked me since. :) Convicted!

e-Mom said...

Priceless! Well done. I've been ironing my DH's clothes faithfully for quite awhile now. He did notice yesterday that I was behind because of Mother's Day...

So of course, I pulled out the ironing board and "went to town" for an hour. Funny how these little things really make a difference isn't it?

He & Me + 3 said...

This post made me say Awww aloud. Because you are so sweet and your husband is so thoughtful. What a cute couple your are.

Missie said...

how SUPER cute! I have been doing Paul's laundry and he loves it - even though I wish it would do itself ;)

2003beachbunch said...

Boy you are good! I don't even iron my own clothes :-) Thanks for the uplifting idea!! Have a great night!

Cynthia said...

Lauren, I just happened upon your blog from Sarah Ann's Bon Mot...and LOVE this idea!! I just may totally link up with you next Tuesday. What a beautiful way to serve and love your husband. Thanks for the reminder and example!

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

the ironing thing is awesome!!! it is ALWAYS a big deal when i iron my hubby's clothes because, well, i'm not very good at it at all (it takes me like 20 minutes/shirt!).

naeesnyder said...

Thanks for sharing! Inspiring story!

Amy said...

Wow! Ironing IS a big deal! I love how happy he was about it, and I love that know how much it means motivates you to do it until you can't do it anymore. You have such a sweet & tender heart. You're going to be such an amazing mom!