6.07.2010

God's Heart: Adoption

 Max Lucado is one of my favorite Christians ever! I think he is fantastic and full of wisdom. I can't even begin to describe the incredible things I've gleaned from reading his books or participating in his Bible Studies. My wonderful husband John introduced me to Max Lucado when we were dating. Not in person (wouldn't that have been cool??) -- he just made me aware of his works. So, the Christmas we were still engaged I gave John a Max Lucado Devotional Bible. This thing has been USED ... the binding is duct taped together... it is an amazing resource!

Last night, when I got into bed, John had left it open to one of the devotional pages titled "God Has Adopted Us." I read it and cried... all my fellow adoptive mommies will love it:

"When we come to Christ, God not only forgives us, he also adopts us. Through a dramatic series of events, we go from condemned orphans with no hope to adopted children with no fear. Here is how it happens. You come before the judgement seat of God full of rebellion and mistakes. Because of his justice he cannot dismiss your sin, but because of his love he cannot dismiss you. So, in an act which stunned the heavens, he punished himself on the cross for your sins. God's justice and love are equally honored. And you, God's creation, are forgiven. But the story doesn't end with God's forgiveness.....

It would be enough if God just cleansed your name, but he does more. He gives you his name. It would be enough if God just set you free, but he does more. He takes you home. He takes you home to the Great House of God.

Adoptive parents understand this more than anyone. I certainly don't mean to offend any biological parents - I'm one myself. We biological parents know well the earnest longing to have a child. But in many cases our cribs were filled easily. We decided to have a child and a child came. In fact, sometimes the child came with no decision. I've heard of unplanned pregnancies, but I've never heard of an unplanned adoption.

That's why adoptive parents understand God's passion to adopt us. They know what it means to feel an empty space inside. They know what it means to hunt, to set out on a mission, and take responsibility for a child with a spotted past and a dubious future. If anybody understands God's ardor for his children, it's someone who has rescued an orphan from despair, for that is what God has done for us.

Go has adopted you. God sought you, found you, signed the papers and took you home."

~Max Lucado

©2009 Living By Faith

11 comments:

Alicia said...

That's beautiful. My husband can relate to that, being that he was adopted.

Monika said...

Wow, it´s wonderful!!! Thank you for this post!!!

Kim said...

Such beautiful truth!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Shark Bait said...

That is beautiful. :-)

Valerie said...

I found your blog through a friend of mine and I must say I am ever so grateful for today's blog! I was reading a little of your story and I can't help but to send up prayers for you as you wait for your dear child. I'm very anxious to find out more about what led you to adoption. My husband and I are just starting the process as well. I noted also you are a mommy to two children playing in Heaven's sandbox. I too wear those shoes as a mommy. So I can say I don't know fully what you are going through but can somewhat understand. Months ago I never thought I'd be on this journey as a mother but I am so excited that this is where God is leading us as parents. I hope you don't mind but I clicked "follow" and hope to follow you guys on your journey through the adoption process! Thanks again for today's post!!

3 Blessings said...

Beautiful!
Blessings,
Amy

Chloë said...

That is so beautiful. Max Lucado is also one of my favorites. When I served as a summer missionary in San Antonio, a bunch of us missionaries went to his church one Sunday. It was the craziest things seeing MAX LUCADO up there, preaching like nothing was abnormal, haha.

But this obviously was a God-thing how you read it at such a time as this, and do now that I continually pray for Tucker, and that his journey home would be swift. Have a wonderful Monday!

Lara said...

I love Max Lucado, too. His books are so easy to read, but they're not necessarily "easy reads." Know what I mean? I had a friend who used to call him "Max Luke-a-do" to make everyone laugh. HA!

Jim and April said...

WOWWOWWOW! I am SO glad I read this, this morning! Would you mind if I did a blog post soon and copied this and I of course would give reference to your blog! :0)

Kimmie said...

very neat devotional...

I would just have to say we experienced an unplanned adoption...we were waiting on an adoption to Guatemala...while waiting and waiting the Holy Spirit led us to babysit for foster care children. We said yes to babysitting for 10 days 3 children (ages 3,4 and 5)-a sibling group.

They came up our sidewalk carrying tiny suitcases. As I bent to welcome them in my home and introduce myself (as they never met me -I was a total stranger)- I knew I was in trouble. After the foster parents left, I sat on the floor with them -my children playing with them too. I snuck to the phone and called my Knight, I told him "Don't come home or we are in big trouble!" I already loved them...if he fell in love, we were in danger of losing our adoption to Guatemala. He laughed.

Within hours the Holy Spirit told us they were actually OUR children.

Can you imagine?

Well, within 9 months they were adopted. We walked from Guatemala and instead got triplets (of sorts).

Unplanned, yes. Surprise, definitely. Life changing, absolutely. Would I change it...no way, they are indeed MY children.

xoxo
Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted

Mirah Riben said...

I encourage you to read:

- Job 23:9

- Adoption - The Inheritance of a Son by Kevin Jackson at http://evangelicalarminians.org/jackson.adoption.the-inheritance-of-a-son

- Biblical Adoption
http://familypreservation.blogspot.com/2009/11/biblical-adoption.html