6.01.2010

To Love Their Husbands Tuesdays: Guy Time

Alrighty - we're back on track this week! Thank you so much for being patient through the blog sale! I hope you still went out of your way to show love to your man! : ) I had such a great post planned for last Tuesday that I was really bummed when I realized it would have to wait. But, it's finally time!

John and I have a really special relationship that would probably make you want to gag if I told you all about it. He has a group of men that he meets with weekly for Bible Study, prayer, and accountability. One week they were talking about marriage. They were discussing how dependent on their spouse each one was... and the other three were pretty independent. They all mentioned that they really enjoy their alone time and that they're really okay with being apart from their spouse for a stretch of time. John was a little different. He described our relationship and it kind of surprised the others. The truth is we hate being apart. We got married because we loooove to be together. Any activity is better if John is with me. When I'm not with him I'm missing him and he feels the same. One night away from each other is like a tragedy for us. As a result, I only plan things with friends when he is working or has school work, and he rarely does things alone with his guy friends unless I'm already busy.

The last couple weeks have been a bit unusual. A couple of the guys from church wanted to go shooting on a Saturday and they invited John. He asked if I minded and I said, "nope - have fun!" (This was the time I cleaned the garage out while he was gone.) Then last weekend we were part of a wedding and staying at the same hotel as the groom and all the groomsmen. John and I are very close with all these guys. After the rehearsal I had some things to take care of, but told John he could hang out with the guys if he wanted to. He had a great time. The next night, after the wedding, I was so excited because I had finished all my responsibilities and could finally hang out with all these wonderful friends (who we no longer live near.) I went to our room to change and John went ahead of me up to the room where everyone was meeting. He called down to tell me that there were no other girls there and it might not be alright for me to come up. (I think they were hanging out in their boxers and talking about boy things.) I was a little bummed, but just told him to have fun and I'd see him later on. He had a blast. Later the next morning (much later, because we were up late) he sat down next to me and thanked me. I asked him what for and he said, "I may not always tell you, but I notice all the special things you do for me. I've noticed that you've had such a sweet attitude about me hanging out with the guys and staying up late the last few nights. It means a lot to me... thank you."

I was blown away! I had no idea that it would mean that much to him! I really hadn't even given it much thought because I didn't think it was that big of a deal and I really had no problem with it. I'm so glad he told me, because I will make sure to log this one away for the future!

Here he is with the guys...



What about you? How did you show love to your husband this week? Any big plans or ideas to use in the future?? We'd love to know, so please link up below! : )
©2009 Living By Faith


17 comments:

Natalie said...

That is really sweet! And really sweet of him to notice and appreciate you. My husband and I are kind of the same way. I totally don't mind if he does stuff with the boys and vice versa but we LOVE being together. We've only spent two nights apart and it was a.w.f.u.l. But like you said--that's why we got married, right?!

Alicia said...

That is so cute, Lauren! I love how you hate to be away from each other!! My husband does have his time to work out with his buddy at church (my husband brought his weights and set up a room for lifting), and also has time to eat at his favorite Vietnamese restaurant if he wants. Before we were married (and even before we were saved) I was the total opposite. But, I love how we will still ask each other if it's okay to do this or that.

Traci Michele said...

Love this Lauren! Yes, we do things apart, but we LOVE being together!

Thank you so much!

2003beachbunch said...

That's awesome that he realized the special things that you do! We love to be together too but I also realize there are alot of things that I can't (or don't want to) do. It's nice when they come home all relaxed!

trooppetrie said...

this is the best thing ever. i can not wait until i am able to join in. my husband is deployed and so it is really hard to do things for him. I would love some suggestions. thank you for encouraging marriages

Kathryne G. said...

My husband and I are the same way about being apart - we endure it and are missing each other the whole time. We work from home together and still can't get enough of being together. If something comes up, we are both understanding and encouraging, but we just love being together too. Isn't marriage wonderful?

He & Me + 3 said...

Your relationship does not make me gag it makes me smile. you all are so precious and cute. Such an example to other young couples around you of how when Christ is the center of your relationship everything else falls into place and then putting others above your own needs comes naturally.
wonderful post Lauren!

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

my hubby and i are the same way! we hate to be a part... i didn't know that some couples don't mind it. to me, i can't even fathom! i need my man! : )

it really is so sweet that you let him have his guy time. i must remember to let mine have the same! i'm a bit selfish with him at times. : )

i'm linking up a post i wrote last week to my hubby to tell him how thankful i am for his love. i hope it's okay that it's a few days old.

Monika said...

Hi, thanks for you comment on my blog!
Your new idea of "Guy Time" is amazing. I think John really enjoyed it and as you heard, he knows about every little special thing you are doing for him...so good job :-))

Tracy said...

Yes, yes, yes! We are inseparable, by preference.

This month, Lauren. I will have to tell you how he has stood by me. God has shown what a gift he has sent me. I know you understand exactly what I mean.

I am SO going to join your link up on Tuesdays. I hate to brag about my man too much, but he is my favorite topic.

Love you. Thanks for everything. I will send you another note soon.

Sarah Ann said...

I just LOVE reading this every week. My husband is the same way. We love to be together, but sometimes, he really enjoys getting to "play" :) You are awesome and I look forward to your tuesdays!

Emily said...

So cute :) I love Tuesdays!

Jim and April said...

aww... i love this! Jim and I are the same way...everyone we know always tells us we have a special kind of love and relationship! He was gone just this weekend in Chicago with his buddy for his buddies bday and they went to a baseball game and those 2 nights he was gone was awful, I was so lonely and I missed him so much. My friends would ask how I liked my alone time and I had to be honest and say I didnt like it because I LOVE being with my husband and he says the same thing! Oh i love my husband!

Natalie said...

How sweet that he took the time to tell you this! I think it's critical to have time with friends as it makes us appreciate our partners so much. Well done, good wife!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

Just gotta tell you ...

... after almost 28 years of marriage, my sweet husband and I still do NOT want to be apart. We LOVE being together, day in and day out. Sweet husband is a pastor, and his office is in our home, so we get the privilege of seeing each other throughout the day.

When we are apart ...

... we talk on the phone throughout the day.

... we send flirty text messages to each other.

... we pop an email to each other.

Yes ... we LOVE spending our time together. Nothing is sweeter than having a husband who is truly your very best friend, and someone that you don't want to live one day without.


Laurel

Melissa G. said...

This is great! I love how you are honoring your husband through your blog. I'm looking forward to joining in and linking up in the future!

Leah said...

Hi Lauren! I just found your blog and I'm excited to be part of your Tuesday link-up in the near future! What a great idea to encourage one another in ways to love our husbands..I love it! I am a new follower by the way. Would love for you to stop by my site and follow back :) Have a great weekend and God bless!