8.17.2010

a lovely holiday

 Thank you for the sweet welcome back! : ) We had a fantastic time with my grandparents and the week went by too fast. There were lot's of tears when it was time to go on Sunday. Our vacation was completely relaxing, but each day was still packed with fun.

There were trips to the local Farmer's Markets... and yes, Illinois really does have the best corn!


We spent 3 hours in the museum where my Grandma volunteers. John hauled some water...

While I did the laundry...

Then we gave Abe some love...

Each day held cooking lessons with Grandma. I love cooking in her kitchen and learning her recipes. She is the best cook I know and every single thing she makes tastes delicious. Look at these mile high cream puffs we made!

The most memorable part of the week was Friday night at "The Barn." It's a huge barn from the 1800's and has been turned into a dinner theater. We got all dressed up and our table was up where the hay loft used to be, which is the best seat in the house because it's like having your own balcony box seat! The food was delicious and the play was hilarious! It was so beautiful inside too...

Of course every afternoon there was tea at 4:30 while we watched jeopardy and played along. My family comes from England and my grandparents (though they never lived there) love the English way of doing things. They've had tea time for as long as I can remember and I think it's adorable!

There was also a lot of Kim Novak, Gary Cooper, Audry Hepburn, James Stewart, Rita Hayworth, and Frank Sinatra in our week. Grandma has the best collection of musical and old classic movies... they just had to be watched!

©2009 Living By Faith

14 comments:

...::Heather @ Mrs. Southern Bride::... said...

Looks like a wonderful time! And those cream puffs look delicious! :)

kara with a k said...

It looks and sounds like it was a splendidly delightful time! Those cream puffs look delicious and your grandparents are precious!!

And you gotta love those Abe pics, too fun!

Jenny said...

that sounds absolutely wonderful! i'm glad you guys were able to go on such a fun holiday :-)

Michelle (michabella) said...

Oh my goodness! What a fun trip!!! Love the picture! <333

Penny said...

What an awesome vaca -- and HUGE cream puffs! I've never seen any that big!

Also, it looks like I would love your grandmother -- we have the same taste in movies!! =)

Whitney said...

2 things....
1 - PLEASE teach me how to make those cream puffs!!!
2 - who is Kim Novak?
(apparently I am not well versed in the classics!)

Alicia said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time!!! How sweet that your grandpa volunteers at the museum! And wow! Those cream puffs! My husband would love those!!

Monika said...

It looks like great time - great vacation!

He & Me + 3 said...

Sounds like you made some more great memories and how sweet that your grandparents still have tea. That is just awesome. I love traditions. They are the best. Love the pictures too.

Alison said...

Awww! What a fun trip! Your grandparents seem so sweet and precious!!

Kristin said...

Lauren, those pictures are just so great and your face just radiates joy!! I love that one of you and Abe! :D Glad you had a great week!!

Critty said...

Oh my goodness....what FUN! I love all the different things you did. There is something so special about cooking with your Grandma. And the old movies and the Barn...awesome!

So glad you holiday was everything you hoped for and more.

Kate said...

What a fun time! How cool they still have tea time?! Awesome!

Jim and April said...

LOVE the pics, glad you had a great holiday and i love the way you do your hair! I have long hair too and I always leave it down but its boring! I need to put some of it up like you do, its very pretty!