9.14.2010

giving all for just one...

I've had the comment made to me over the last year, "this is an awful lot for just one child." When people say this they are referring to the adoption process. It's expensive, and time consuming. It breaks your heart some days ... or most days. It's an emotional roller coaster like one I've never been on before. It's a lot of effort that usually requires personal sacrifice, discomfort, and even pain. Through it all this journey has opened my eyes to the love that God has for each of His children in a very personal way.   

We have spent the last 5 years praying for our child and over a year now eagerly seeking him and working as hard as we can to bring him home. We've sacrificed almost everything for one little child... our time, our comfort, our status as "normal," our money, our emotions, our hearts. He's not even home and we already love him completely and intensely. 

I read the parable of the lost sheep last weekend and almost wept...

"Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."
Luke 15: 4-7

That's exactly how God is with us! He will search for us and He did sacrifice EVERYTHING to bring us home! The amazing thing is that He cares for us all on an individual level. At the end of the parable when the Shepard finds the one lost sheep he calls to everyone to come rejoice with him. I was thinking about how it will be when we finally have Tucker home and in our arms. The celebration will be incredible and all the sacrifice, aching, longing, and searching will be so worth it

When I think about that I know that it's so worth it that we'd do it all over again... and we probably will... that's what being a parent is all about... that's why I can call HIM Abba Father... that's how I love my children - every single one that's ever been given to me.

©2009 Living By Faith

23 comments:

Vera said...

Ah, this was the main scripture at church this week and I have been thinking about it so much. What a beautiful post!

Maria @ The Trochelmans said...

Theres nothing little about "just one child." This scripture speaks volumes-I hope you find comfort in it.

LOVE this post!

Cole said...

such an encouraging post. I'm sharing this with a friend right now.

{:miss v:} said...

So very true. Thank you for the reminder of the deep deep love the Lord has for all of us.

Praying your little one will be home in your arms soon!

Lara said...

Beautiful and so true, Lauren. Tucker will be so blessed to have you as his mommy!!

Venessa said...

A wonderful friend shared this post with me today because I am feeling discouraged by this process that we are in. It is very emotional and it seems like it is going to take a life time before we bring home baby! But I am encouraged by the words that you share! Thank you so much for posting this!

Critty said...

This is beautiful Lauren. You and John are so faithful and He is going to bring Tucker home...soon. Until then so many people are praying and loving you from far away. <3

Kelly's Avenue said...

What a cute blog
I am your newest follower

www.kellyavenue.com

klarsen said...

For some reason, I have com across this parable 3 times in a week. ALL of God's children ARE important. I look forward to the day I can rejoic with you when you bring Tucker home. xo

Veronica said...

This is beautiful and so true!

Checked out your shop and all your pretties are so cute! I hope you sell a ton of them!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

"A lot of money for one kid"? Are you kidding me? Apparently, that person doesn't have a kid or has forgotten that if any of us knew what it would cost us on the front end of parenting, we might faint with fright! Kids cost. Love costs.

But oh so worth it.

It will be worth it for all of you, Tucker included.

Keep to it, sister. This will happen for you.

peace~elaine

Anna said...

one of my bloggy friends CHristine wrote "adopting one child wont change the world but it will change the world for that one child." When compared to the price he paid for us..... its pocket change. Money is meant to be spent and I cannot think of a better way to spend it.... can you?????Im serious, when I look around and see all that could be purchsed with money.... it all grows outdated used and will one day be in the trash heap..... but my sweet little G...... irreplaceable.

Kate said...

Awesome perspective and great way to describe it for others to truly get it!

Katie said...

You have a great perspective on this. Yes it is a sacrafice and sometimes it is not all rainbows and ponies as you have seen. There are things that are flat hard but the Glory of God is worth it all. Adopting is a testimony and it allows you to share your faith in a big way. I know you are ready and called for this. You will be living a testimony that will speak volumes.

Kristin said...

Beautifully written, Lauren! For Tucker, it will mean everything. And we cannot see the effects that will have on so many others, but God can!!! For me, adoption meant everything!

Whitney said...

I am amazed at how little life is valued. It IS a lot of work, and pain, and cost - but for ANY child! And for EVERY child - it is worth it. I am so thankful that Tucker has you two yearning, sacrificing, and praying for him. But most of all, I am thankful he has you two Loving him!! What a beautiful post on the importance of perspective.

Thank you for writing your thoughts!!

www.whitney-navybeans.blogspot.com

Leigh said...

love this.

Kristi J said...

amen...they are worth every dime and much much more!!! :) kj

Amy said...

Children are SO worth every bit & more! You're already such a great mom! :) I love how much God has taught me about Himself & His love since becoming a mom. Isn't He great like that?!

Brandy said...

WOW!!! What an amazing journey you have been on...I am just mesmerized by your blog and I love it. Your journey has been tough and your strength and openness are amazing. You inspire me to be more and do more. What a story you have to share and I am now following and hope to check back often to get updates. Praise God for your courage to share your heart. And yes every little child is worth it!

Louisiana Tara said...

What a beautiful perspective Lauren! Thank you for sharing so honestly. Love you, girl!

Carmie, the Single Nester said...

First, thank you for stopping by my blog. Secondly, people say the stupidest things! I wish you a wonderful journey as you wait for God to bring you your child. How coinky dinky that the lost sheep quote appeared in this post. In church a couple of weeks ago, the priest read this as the Sunday scripture. Small world!

Joyeful said...

Yes!!!!!!! This post is so beautiful!!!!!!!!!