12.10.2010

christmas movies and music

 It's Christmas Party Friday and I'm linking up with Critty Joy again! :) Music and Movies is the theme! :)

I'll start with my favorite Christmas movies... top 3. First, is Holiday Inn with Bing Cosby and Fred Astaire. I first saw this movie a few years ago while spending Thanksgiving with my grandparents in Illinois. There is an old theater in town that they've kept authentic. It's really neat  and they show older movies. So, the Saturday after Thanksgiving we went and watched Holiday Inn and John and I fell in love with the movie... so we came home and bought it! Now I get to watch it every year! Bit of trivia: it's in this movie that Bing Cosby debuts the song "White Christmas." It's the coziest scene ever...



Twelve years after Holiday Inn came out, my second favorite Christmas movie was released... inspired by my first! :):) Yup - White Christmas!! More trivia: Fred Astaire was actually supposed to star opposite Bing Cosby in this one too, but he was already tied up in another movie. Still, any excuse to hear Bing Cosby sing with George Clooney's mom is wonderful!!

My third favorite Christmas movie also contains my absolute favorite Christmas song... the movie is Meet Me in St Louis with Judy Garland, and here is the song for your listening delight...


What are your favorite Christmas movies and songs???
©2009 Living By Faith

9 comments:

Heather said...

I haven't seen Holiday Inn in years!! I will have to rent that one soon! We love Christmas With the Kranks, It's A Wonderful Life, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. :)

Lindsey said...

I've been wanting to see Holiday Inn for YEARS & still haven't! I LOVE White Christmas, though!

monicaelaine1 said...

Movies:
#1 - It's a Wonderful Life
#2 - Christmas Carol
#3 - Christmas Story!
I have yet to watch any of these this year! But we will be very soon. When school gets out and bedtime isn't so important for the kiddo's!
Music:
All of it!

Natalie {Extraordinary Love} said...

white christmas is amazing!!! we got to go see it as a play the day after thanksgiving & it was awesome!

Critty said...

Oh my goodness. I adore that you saw Holiday Inn in a theater....that sounds like such fun. I love the TCM station and they always play these three movies the week of Christmas and I just cannot get enough of them. All three remind me of growing up. I own Meet Me in St Louis so it gets airplay year round! Bing's Christmas cd is one of my most played in iTunes!

Thanks for joining the fun dear friend. :o)

John and Shannon said...

I love watching A Christmas Story. And I know this isn't a christmas movie but I love watching The Nutcracker...the old video with Barishnykov. Can you believe I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life or White Christmas. My goal in the next couple of weeks is to watch both.
Christmas songs...anything by Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis. Those were the songs my mom played when I was a little girl and I can't get enough of them now at Christmas time :-) Great memories!

Brookie said...

Have you ever heard what the original lyrics to "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" were supposed to be? They are SO horrible... it makes me appreciate the written lyrics all the more.

Michelle said...

I enjoyed reading your post.
Merry Christmas!

Madeleine said...

Just popped in here to see how you were doing this holiday season. And how your adoption was progressing!

I pray for your aching arms.

And favorite Christmas movie?? Well, "they" tell me it is not a Christmas movie, but I love While you Were Sleeping. And Of course, It's a Wonderful Life.

Classic.