12.03.2010

christmas party friday- german apple pie!

 I'm linking up with my pal Critty Joy each Friday this month for a Christmas themed delight! This week it's recipes... I am so excited to get new ideas from everyone! :)

I made German Apple Pie for the first time when John and I had been married a little over a year and it was our second Christmas together. We lived in a log cabin out in the country (seriously, it was the real deal...)

... told ya ;)

Anyway, it was a gorgeous Christmas season and I found this recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook. I tried it out and it became our new favorite! It's so so SO yummy!!

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 teaspoon Spice Island® Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water

  • FILLING:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • Whipped cream, optional

Directions

  • In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Add vanilla. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
  • For filling, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle 3 tablespoons into crust. Layer with half of the apples; sprinkle with half of the remaining sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Pour cream over all.
  • Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake for 55-60 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
 Bon Apetit!
©2009 Living By Faith

6 comments:

Emily said...

looks great! I love apple pie! We're having a holiday party next weekend and we're starting our shopping and cooking this weekend so I'll have lots of great holiday recipes on there next week! :)

Kela said...

I've eaten plenty of Apple pies, but never baked one. Maybe I'll try my hand at it.

LOVE the log cabin!! It's one of my dreams (that'll come true)

Critty said...

That cabin is amazing! What a beautiful way to spend Christmas :o)

I have been looking for another pie recipe to make in addition to the pecan pie (I adore pies!) I am going to have to talk to the family and we are so going to try this!

Thanks for joining in the fun today my friend!

bluecottonmemory said...

Yum! And with Whipped Cream! Whipped Cream (homemade) makes everything almost heavenly!

Penelope said...

Love Taste of Home! Also, allrecipes.com

partialemptynester said...

I love apple pie, but apple pie in a log cabin with snow all around...simply irresistible!