12.14.2010

a new week

 I'm so happy a new week is here. Last week was the pits. We got a call on Tuesday morning from our case worker "K." Tucker was sick. Really sick. They were still waiting on test results to tell us what was wrong and at the time they didn't know anything at all. So we prayed and kept the information pretty much to ourselves.

Thursday morning K called again - Tucker was admitted to the hospital. No results yet, but he was getting much worse. Friday morning we finally received the test results in a document along with the doctor's notes from Ethiopia. Of course we couldn't understand the results because they were all in doctor lingo - so we left a message with our pediatrician here and waiting for him to call back. We waited alllll day - he finally called late on Friday.

Basically the results said a big fat nothing. They were completely inconclusive. We had no idea why he was so sick. All we knew was that he was diagnosed with malabsorbtion. The little guy can't absorb his food for  some unknown reason. He was losing a lot of weight and according to the doctor in Ethiopia "becoming emaciated." Our doctor gave us reassurance that he was pleased with the care Tucker was receiving and that they were doing everything right. He said if he was there he would be doing the exact same thing. So, Tucker was put on a specialized diet of pre-digested food. That way he doesn't have to worry about digesting it - just absorbing it. He's also receiving several meds through an IV in his head.

We got another call from K yesterday -- Tucker was discharged from the hospital and is back at Hannah's Hope!!!! He is doing much better, but is still a very sick little boy. He has gained less than one pound in the last 9 weeks. When he was 4 weeks old he was in the 20th percentile for weight... he's not even on the chart anymore, he's dropped wayyy below.

Please pray for our little dude. I wish I could show you pictures because he is the cutest little thing you ever saw and he has the brightest eyes. I just want to get him home. Only one more month til he's in my arms!!! Until then - we would love to have the world lifting our little boy up...














**Just in case anyone is wondering why we didn't share this sooner and why I haven't been answering my phone much... it's because I haven't really wanted to talk about it. It was a very hard week for John and I with a lot of tears. To be honest, the last thing we wanted was to talk about it with other people before we were even able to process the information ourselves. Even now, I still don't like to talk about it with others much. We know that God will take care of him and right now we just want to take comfort in that fact and leave it be. BUT - we SO SO SO appreciate your prayers and support!! :)



©2009 Living By Faith

38 comments:

Jessica said...

This made me tear up, Lauren. I cannot even imagine how tough this has been for you guys..You all are definitely in my prayers!

Natalie {Extraordinary Love} said...

i cannot imagine how hard that must be for you as his mom, not being able to hold him in your arms and take care of him yourself : ( what peace you can having knowing that his Father is taking care of him and watching over him though!
i am certainly praying for your little man! and for both of you! thanks for the update!

4 Blessings said...

You know my entire family is praying. I am posting right now. May God give you comfort and peace. May He heal Tucker with HIS healing hand.
Love,
Amy

Amy said...

I can't imagine how you feel not being able to care for him while he's sick. Praying for his healing!

Michelle (michabella) said...

Praying for comfort for you and your hubs and praying baby Tucker will get better! <333

Anne said...

I cannot imagine what it must be like to have your baby be so sick halfway across the world. Praying that God takes care of him and gives you peace.

*Ashley Lou* said...

Lauren, I am so sorry and yet I trust in God to intervene on Tucker's behalf...He wouldn't have sent two people around the world for this little guy if he wasn't VERY important to God! I am praying for his speedy and miraculous recovery...I know that God can have the glory in all of this! And I am adding your button to a post asking others to pray...I believe that God still does miracles and I can't wait to rejoice over Tucker's!

The Young Family said...

You KNOW we are praying for sweet Tucker...and you know how special he is to our family!!! We'll be praying sweet sister!!! Hang in there...

Heather said...

Will be praying for you, and your sweet little one!

Shonni said...

I am so sorry and will be praying for ya’ll.

Together We Save said...

Sending prayers out for you and your little guy!!

~Sandy said...

I was just reading about your little guy and wanted to let you know that we are praying for him. I also wanted to let you know, that I am a foster mom and this year our home was blessed with a precious "tiny" little girl who also has the condition you mentioned as well as another gastro condition, but she is thriving. She eats a little different and her weight & nutrition has to be more closely monitored than most kids. She has been below the charts at 5% or less,but she created her own chart and has very slowly moved up it. She is now 11 months old and 14 pounds. She pretty much eats anything by mouth now and is off of her feeding tubes. She doesn't absorb fat, but she eats more frequently and takes supplements. Her GI doctor said she will never be fat and will always be small but otherwise she is just like any other baby. We refer to her as Jelly Bean on our blog...our miracle baby.
I just thought I'd take a moment and share her story. I wish you all the best. ((hugs)) Sandy

Leigh said...

Love you friend! Praying for all three of you!

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Oh girly! We are praying for you lil man!!! Get well soon Tucker!!

Melinda said...

I know how hard it is when your child is sick, but I can't imagine him being sick and half a world away. Praying for little Tucker and for your case to speed through the red tape.

Team Bedzyk said...

Praying for your little boy, keep the faith!

Makenzie said...

I have been following your journey for a while now and I will be praying that your sweet Tucker continues to gain strength and good health until you can bring him home!

Carrie said...

A sick baby breaks a mama's heart! I can only imagine how hard it must be when there's so much distance between you. I will be praying for your little man and you too! Trusting in the Great Physician to heal Tucker and meet all his needs.

Alison said...

Lauren, I will be PRAYING for Tucker!! Praying that God restores his health...and keeps him growing big!! Going to post the button on our blog too!

Critty said...

Oh my friend. I have been praying and will continue to pray and will be spreading the word about your sweet Tucker boy.

Praying for that precious boy and for you and John. He knows. He cares. He has Tucker in the palm of His hand.

((hug))

meredith and justin said...

Praying for complete healing for sweet Tucker and for a peace only our Heavenly Father can bring for you and John.

Jenn said...

Lauren,
Email me at jenncooper@fellowship.net. Our Daniel came to HH very malnourished and I have some encouraging words for you about Tucker :) Praying that this new formula will be just what he needs!!!!

Life Is Crazy Beautiful said...

Praying for Tucker and for you! I know you can't wait to wrap your arms around him and care for him yourselves... Lisa

Darla said...

Praying the special diet is just what he needs to get on the right track! Poor little guy. We're praying the dr's have great wisdom and that his little body responds well to the treatments.

Pilar said...

I can't imagine how you must be feeling being so far from your little one. I know when our kids are sick, all we want to do is to hold them and make it all go away. I just stopped and prayed for him, and for you. Can't wait to see a photo of Tucker in your arms.

Kristin said...

Poor little guy....I will definitely keep praying for him and for you too!

Julia said...

Lauren, Im SO sorry to hear this news. I will be praying! God bless, Love you! xoxo

Kristin said...

I was just linked to your blog from another blog I follow on a regular basis. We accepted our referral for our baby boy in Ethiopia the same day you did! Our court date is Jan. 31st! We are with CHSFS. I will be praying for your little guy's health! Sounds like you've had a really rough week. Our little one is 5 months old, very malourished but is slowly gaining weight...our last update he weighed 7.9lbs. Praying he stays healthy too! Hang in there...he'll be in your arms soon!

Kelly said...

Praying so much! I cannot imagine what you are going through- not being able to hold him and take care of him. I pray that God will strengthen your heart and cause Tucker to be well and healthy very soon!

Bonner Family said...

Lauren,

Thank you for sharing. I can't imagine how hard it is to know that your baby is sick and you can't be with him. He sounds like a little fighter. I pray that God will heal his little body and give him comfort. I pray that you would have peace knowing that God loves Tucker! I've seen miracle after miracle in the adoption world. Our little 3 1/2 yr old Sam was just the size of an 18 month old just 9 short months ago. After 7 additional inches and 18 additional pounds, he is finally on the growth charts. God is alive and well.

Hugs to You!!!

Laurie said...

This breaks my heart, but I'm praying for you, John and Tucker.

BARBIE said...

I am so sorry to hear about Tucker. I am praying for him, for complete healing and peace for both you and John. I cannot imagine being away from a sick child. Your poor heart!

mandyjmcknight said...

Praying for Tucker & you guys.

Mandy
www.mcknightdiary.wordpress.com

twolittletots said...

This breaks my heart and I am praying for all of you. Hang in there this week!

Anne said...

Lauren, I'm praying for you. I just wrote today on my blog about our son's 6th adoption day today. Hang in there... it really will happen... you really WILL be holding him very soon. You will be blessed over and over by God's goodness and love... just keep praying and loving. Can't wait to rejoice with you when you are finally holding Tucker!!! :)

anne
www.openbookgirls.com

Bill and Dawn said...

We are praying for you and little Tucker!!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Oh - another momma crying with you! Please heal this precious boy, Father.

Madeleine said...

Oh that has to be so terribly hard, being half a world away from your baby.

We will be praying.

And I have one word to consider.

Celiac.

By the way, when do you go out there for the first time? Have you been already and I missed it?

When is the projected time he is home?