1.10.2011

{Getting Ready...}

...for the trip of a lifetime! I am so excited I can hardly stand it! Last night I had the worst time falling asleep. I just kept going over lists of things in my head - things I need to get done before we leave Wednesday morning. I think I have about 12 lists scattered around the house as well. But we're getting there!!

Here's our biggest piece of luggage...

it's filled to the brim with donations for Hannah's Hope (the orphanage caring for our son.) There are baby clothes, big kid clothes, boy things, girl things, toys, puzzles, formula, diapers, crib sheets and more in this suitcase! You can't tell from the picture, but it's huge! When it's all zipped up it stands taller than my waist!

Here it is again with my carry on...

Yes, I am all packed for me! I fit all of my clothes and shoes for the week in that little red carry on. Plus I have travel size shampoo, soap, etc that all fit in the required one quart plastic bag! YAY! Now if our luggage doesn't make it I will at least be able to take a shower and wear clean clothes! :)

John is packing his carry on with all his clothes for the week as well and then we each are allowed a back pack to take on the plane with us. We'll fill those with books, games, cameras, laptop, ear plugs, meds, and such. Everything that we absolutely need will be in our carry on luggage. What a relief! We only have 2 pieces of checked baggage total. One with the donations, and the other will have some more donations and some food/snacks for us to have if we just can't handle the Ethiopian Cuisine. (We both have very sensitive tummies...)

We're still getting things together...


... but we're getting there!! Only 2 more days til we pull out of the driveway! I hope I can sleep tonight - but I'm not counting on it!

OH! And great tip from Sunday School this morning... if you are afraid of flying like me - read Job 38 during take off and landing. That's my plan!!

30 comments:

Kristin said...

I loved reading this post! I can hear the excitement just bursting out of your words!! Yay! Great job on packing! At least you won't have to worry about your things getting lost. I will be praying for your safe travels! Maybe you will be able to get caught up on your rest during the flight :)

aPearantly sew said...

I wouldn't be able to sleep either! I can tell you are so excited! I hope you have a safe trip and that all goes well for your family. I look forward to reading all about it!

Georgia Roppolo said...

ive been following your blo, anticipating the arrival of baby tucker--so exiting! have a great trip and yall are in my prayers!

Jenny said...

Of course you can't sleep!!! How exciting! I'm so happy for you and cannot WAIT to see photos.

Amy said...

I am so excited for you guys to finally get to meet your boy! It really is the trip of a lifetime. Have a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear all about it!

Lara said...

I am soooo excited to live vicariously through you!! Have an awesome time with Tucker!

Critty said...

So. Very. Excited! For you and John. Praying for peace and sleep as you get ready to go meet your Tucker. <3

Joyeful said...

I am so excited for you!!!! I can't wait to catch up with you! Yours will be the very first blog I check when I get back from my blog break!!!

Love you and Godspeed to your little one!!

Jessica said...

I am so excited for you guys! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

what a wonderful week of anticipation for you. can't wait to see pictures of your little boy's whole face! :)

Jenny said...

woooohoo!!! i'll see you there!

angie said...

i have been following your blog for a little while now and i'm SO excited for you! wishing you safe travels and a very blessed time in ethiopia!

Jodi said...

What an incredible packer you are! Could you help me next month? :) Can't wait to see you holding your precious son!!! Praying for you all the way to Ethiopia and back home!

Jim and April said...

oh i cannot even imagine how excited you are! Now if I remember correctly you said before your like me and scared of flying...so how are you doing when thinking about the long trip? I bet your excitement overrides any fear! ;0) Tell me how the plane ride goes as I would love to hear! ;0)

Teresa Rieke said...

It makes my stomach have butterflies just reading this!! We are sooo happy for you and of course we will be lifting you up to our Father in prayer for health, flying and lots of other things! all our love!

Future Mama said...

Soooo exciting!! Congrats!! Can't wait to see the little one home :-)

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Angela Hunt said...

Oh goodness, I'm so excited for you! By the way, that's so smart to pack everything you're gonna wear in the carry-ons! I'm definitely gonna remember that.

Chloƫ said...

SO so excited!! I can't wait for you to hold your baby boy!!

Brookie said...

I couldn't sleep last night either, Lauren. If I have the same problem tonight or later this week, I will think of you and pray for your packing logistics, travel, sleep-patterns, and meeting YOUR SON! :-D

Amy said...

I am SO incredibly excited for y'all!!!!!!!

Our Bigg Family said...

Soon, very soon, that precious boy we all have been praying for will be in your arms!!!!! YEAH so excited for you!!!

Sandy a la Mode said...

awwww sooo excited for you girl!!! :)

Franchesca said...

SOO excited for you Lauren!!! :)

Heather said...

Yay for Tucker coming home!! (or atleast meeting him right now!) Kudos for fitting your stuff in a carryon!

John and Shannon said...

What a great idea to fit all of your clothes for the week in the carry on. I would have never thought of that. My thought was for John & I to fit our clothes and stuff into 1 big suitcase. But like you said 'what if that doesn't make it when you do.' I think I will do what you did. My husband considers me the packing queen, so maybe I'll earn another jewel in the crown if I can do this!! :-) We leave in less than 3 weeks.
So happy & excited for you. Safe travels for everyone!!

Alison said...

WOW!!! I am just so EXCITED for ya'll!! And so impressed at your packing! You'll have to give us lots of tips when we go get Caroline Faith! :)

twolittletots said...

SO happy for you. I will pray for safe travels and I can't wait to hear all about it.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Very excited for all of you!

peace~elaine

He & Me + 3 said...

OMgosh Omgosh it is so close. I am screaming over here!!!!!!!!!!
So excited for you all. Get some rest! You will need it.
Hugs,
Mimi

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh...I can't believe the day has come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!