1.27.2011

{it's possible!}

A common refrain I've heard over the last year or so is, "oh I would adopt too if I could afford it..." or "oh I wish I could just snatch those orphans up and bring them home..." You want to know the GREAT news here? YOU CAN!! (well, don't snatch just go snatch up children, do it the right way) But, you can bring them home! So, if you're actually serious and not just saying things for the sake of making conversation or trying to relate, then this is the post for you!


I think there is a common misunderstanding that people who adopt are either bringing in six figures a year, received some kind of crazy inheritance, or have saved for years on end. For some that may be true, but for most of us it's not. Let me share from our own experience. When John and I decided to adopt we had just moved from Lexington, Va and a steady 9-5 with benefits state job to Virginia Beach, seminary and a ministry position. I had a job at the school John attends, but only for about 8 months. Last spring I quit to stay home and focus on the youth ministry, our home, our marriage, and upcoming motherhood. For those who really don't know, pastors don't make much money at all - youth pastors make even less. We are blessed to have enough to live off of and have basically no extra. That's okay, it makes us happy and we don't have a lot of needs. BUT, we certainly didn't pay for our adoption with John's salary.


So, how did we do it? With lots of hard work, creativity, fundraising, a grant, and prayer! Let me make one thing clear: GOD CARES ABOUT THE ORPHANS! I believe with my whole heart that adoption is something God cares passionately about, so He will make it happen! There have been many times over the last several months that I've looked at the amount we still needed and thought "there's no way! how on earth are we going to get all the money we need?" Usually within days of that worry and subsequent prayer we had a random donation at our feet. God provides.


It's been on my heart to share this with others. So, over the next few weeks I'll be writing up posts in a series I'm going to call "Adoption: You Can Too!" Because if you really mean it when you say that the pictures of little ones in orphanages break your heart and you want to bring one home, then I want to help show you that you can! The posts in this series will share how to raise money, what worked for us and what didn't, practical ideas for fundraising, and tips for you to use your own creative juices to bring in funds to give an orphan a home. So please come back next week for the first post of the series and spread the word to others who are serious about making a difference in the orphan crisis.


 In addition, I want to add that I know not everyone is called to or able to adopt a child for various reasons. This series is to show that while there may be other legitimate reasons some can't adopt, money is NOT one of them! ;) But, everyone is able to help in some way. Whether it's spread the word about the orphan crisis, hold a yard sale and donate the proceeds to someone's adoption fund, sponsor a child, or donate from your resources to improve the life of an orphan... we can all do something! So, this series will help those of you in this category by showing you ways you can get involved and help a child find a home! :) So grab a button and spread the word!








23 comments:

Madeleine said...

Amen!!

I think that is the most common thing people say, and all I can think is NO, GOD IS GOOD!!! I mean, my husband is a construction worker and I am a homeschool mom. Money is not something that is flowing freely in this home, specially in this economy.

But when we adopted Elena, God provided in ways that were HIS to HIS Glory!

The pictures of your trip to Africa are AMAZING!!!

And we wouldn't have it any other way.

:D

Jim and April said...

love this! sharing it on facebook! I've had so many say this!

Franchesca said...

I love this Lauren. I don't know that we'll ever adopt, but I'm reading this anyway because I don't want money to ever be the reason we don't! :)

xxxx

Overthinking Mama said...

can't wait to read these. in my heart i want to adopt. but I don't know if financially I am able to support another child ( i have two already) or if emotionally or even physically able to right now. (single mom, working full time, going to school) but its definetely something I do want to look into in the future. :-)

Rebekah said...

I agree that God makes it happen! We're in seminary and the numbers don't add up right on paper, but God is so faithful. I'm passing this post along to other families considering adoption!

Allison said...

LOVE THIS!! Just announced that we are starting the process and I am so excited to hear what you have to offer as guidance for us on this journey.

Brookie said...

I'm excited for your posts, Lauren. My fiance and I are interested to pray about adoption in future years and I'll appreciate your advice and perspective as one who has gone ahead of us and can offer tips and tools from your experience.

Future Mama said...

Oooh!! I can't wait for all the fundraising tips!!!!

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Kit said...

I can not wait to read these! Adoption is very special to me and one day my husband and I would love to pursue international adoption!

Kristin said...

What a great series, Lauren! I always think about my own parents, when they adopted me. They literally had nothing. No preparation, no baby clothes, no crib, no high chair, and absolutely no money to buy any of it because they had just spend every penny moving to a new city. It took others, giving in love, to make sure they had what they needed, because truly all that child needs is LOVE!!!

They ended up being given so much, even more than what they needed for me. God WILL provide!!! All it takes is trust and faith!

I don't know if we will ever adopt. I told God that when my hubby changes his mind about it, then I will know it's God's will. I do know that since we are moving now, unexpectedly, it's a good thing we didn't start all the home studies, etc when I decided I wanted to adopt. Only God knows, but I do love to help others however I can, because you know I believe in adoption and what a beautiful thing it is.

BlessedMommyx3 said...

Looking forward to all your idea's. We are just starting the adoption process and I must admit when I think of all the money involved my faith gets shakey. But reading all these stories from adoptive families...I know God will provide...He loves the orphan!! Can't wait for your next post.

Jessica said...

I'm so excited to read this! I was wondering about your adoption journey, and can't wait to learn more!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

YEAH! Thank you, thank you, thank you! My husband and I know we are called to adopt our next child (and we have total joy and peace about that), but we are scared to death over the money aspect. I can't thank you enough for being willing to share ideas with all of us! Whoo hoo! Seriously, this made my day! can you type the next post tonight?! hahaha ;)

Randee said...

I a new follower to your blog and am in the the process of adopting a baby from Ethiopia as well! We are on our agency's waiting list (3 months today) and God is truly providing our financial needs! I am excited to read this series as we are still looking for great fundraising ideas, but even more than that I hope to point others to it so they can see how God provides for orphans and those that step out in faith to give them a loving family.

Praying for you as well that this time between trip 1 and 2 goes quickly and that your Mama heart is at peace.

Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jayme said...

I'm looking forward to reading these posts! there is a foster, adoption and orphan care group at our church that is very active. they are awesome about keeping the those involved in orphan care supportive and love. There is a family in our church that is involved in interim foster care, meaning that they take infants from birth while the mother has 10days to decide if she will keep the baby or give it up. Honestly, the group makes sure that this family has meals whenever a baby comes to their home! Please make sure that your readers realize just how many ways they can help!

Venessa said...

This is awesome. We are in the process of adopting and it can be overwhelming to think of the financial piece of it. This is a great idea!! Thank you so much for sharing this with others!

Heather said...

I don't know where the Lord will lead us, but I have wanted to adopt since I went with a church to Guatemala, where we spent time with the orphans. Loved reading this, and I hope I never let money, or anything else stand in the way of what He may want for our lives!

Katie said...

That is awesome, God is using you. It is expensive but can be done. We simply cut back eating out, buying anything that we did not need for a year plus some savings added from the past two years to it. Was our savings gone for a while, yes but we are fine. People buy new cars and don't think twice about the more then double the cost of adoption for that. In ten years you will want to get rid of that car. This all reminds me of the book radical.

Anna said...

I am so thankful that the God I serve is true to character. He was the one that accomplished much in our adoption. Each time we had a financial need He provided the finances. Its simply amazing. It was a hard journey but we learned so much along the way..... keep up the good work. I posted about your diaper collection and have several acquaintences saying theyve helped. ;) so proud of what God continues to do

Kim said...

Thank you for this! I am a new blogger, and also new to your blog.. and this is exactly what I needed to read tonight. We plan to pursue adoption in Ethiopia next, but it's overwhelming to think about where the money will COME from. I had thought that it would take us YEARS to save since we are far from wealthy.. but this post definitely encourages me to think 'outside of the box'.

P.S. We live right outside Virginia Beach!

Rachel said...

Right now my hubby & I are prayerfully considering whether or not the Lord would have us adopt. Since he's in seminary, money is an important factor in the equation. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to share!

Lisa said...

Your post was such perfect timing. My husband and I know that adoption is in our future, but not sure of the timing. We have 4 kids, are in ministry school right now, and have started a ministry that has just taken off. I've just received my packet from AGCI, and have been looking it over and trying not to get overwhelmed with all the questions and information.

Thanks so much for the reminder that it's not just the wealthy who can adopt. I look forward to your postings on this.

Be blessed.
Lisa