1.20.2011

{we're home}

... well, sort of. Right now Ethiopia feels more like home than Virginia. It's weird to be back and nothing feels familiar anymore. It's weird to be cold, our Folger's coffee tastes blah (we were too tired to grind our stash from the trip today) and the sounds and smells are so different and quiet.

We had quite the journey home. Our flight out of Ethiopia was delayed, so we waited in the airport for 12 hours before we finally took off. That of course meant that we missed our connecting flight in Frankfurt, so we hung out there waiting for the next flight to D.C. The awesome thing was that we had both flights with a couple we were in Ethiopia with all week and we just love them! Chris and Dale - you made what could have been the worst travel in history so much fun! We love you guys! All in all, from the time we left our hotel to the time we made it to our house, we were in transit for 39 hours! We are so tired.

We slept for 11 hours, waking up at 3pm today. We've got our days and nights all mixed up and we both just want to go back to bed, but we're making ourselves wait for it to get dark. We miss our son so badly it hurts. Pray for our hearts. It's so difficult to be away from him.

Now... I am going to find my Ethiopian coffee stash and make myself a little pick-me-up! ;)

16 comments:

Heather said...

I know it's so hard to be home...but I'm glad you got back safe! That was a long journey you had! Jason met a girl today that adopted twins from Ethiopia and she lives in Elizabeth City. She gave him her card because she said she'd love to get in contact with you! He came by the house to drop it off today but I told him not to bother you so yall could sleep! Anyway...I lu you and I will wait for you to call so we can get together when you are rested and up for it!

Brookie said...

Welcome home. I'm sorry "home" feels so foreign without your little boy.

Kristin said...

Praying for you! And I'm so proud of you! You made that flight and I know that was no easy thing!! Yay!

I am wearing my red earrings you made today. I love them :)

Future Mama said...

We will be praying!!

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Allison said...

So sorry you have to go through this, I had to go back into the hospital after being home for 2 days and those 4 days without seeing her were excruciating so I can only imagine what it feels like to have your boy an ocean away. You are in my thoughts and prayers and just think how lucky you are to love so much it hurts and to know that God's hand is on this whole process, he is taking care of your boy and will bring him home so soon.

Blessings!

Jennifer said...

I'm not going to lie...the point you are at is the point I have been dreading (even though it is so far away for us!). Please know that I am praying for your heart for these next few weeks!

Jen

Laurie said...

I'm so glad y'all are back safe and sound. I pray that these weeks go by quickly so you can have little man back in your arms again. :)

Laura said...

I'm so glad your home safe! Stay strong. He'll be in your arms before you know it!

Critty said...

I <3 you my friend and I am praying for both of your hearts...and that sweet Tucker. May God sprinkle small blessings over the next few weeks. I know they will be hard... but the end result is going to be so amazing :o)

monicaelaine1 said...

I will be asking the Lord in my prayers to bring peace in the coming weeks as well as a whirl wind of activity so that you hardly have time to think about missing Tucker. He will be home soon! God bless you both for your desire to love and care for this little soul!

Sara said...

Praying for you Lauren....I dread this part too but praying that you can go back soon and we start a trend of super fast embassy appointments!!!!

Lindsey said...

I have some Ethiopian coffee from some friends who are missionaries there...these next few weeks as I drink it, it'll be a reminder to pray for your family as you wait to go back to get Tucker. Enjoying reading about your journey!

Amy said...

We are right there with you two!! We slept for 15 hours last night, got up for lunch and went back to bed for 4 more hours!! We are totally out of it and we didn't have any delays with our long travel home. So glad you had Dale and Kris to spend all the waiting with. Praying for you and hoping we will all meet again in ET really, really soon to bring our boys home where they belong!!

love ya,
Amy

BARBIE said...

I can't imagine how you must feel having to leave your son behind. I will be praying this next phase of the process moves swiftly. Get some more sleep and make that coffee!

Denise said...

Praying for you, your hubby and sweet little Tucker! Strength in heart, mind and body to not just make it through these next few weeks but to capture every moment of grace that God reveals.

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing from your heart!

Prayers and love,
Denise

Amy said...

Oh, sweet Lauren! I'm so sorry that you are hurting. Praying that this time will pass by quickly for y'all!