4.11.2011

{grammy's hankies}

As I shared in Friday's post, my grandmother (on my dad's side) is suffering from alzheimer's disease. She is going downhill rapidly and it's so sad to watch. She was living in assisted care about 20 minutes away for a little over a year until February. She then moved to a much better facility in Illinois and will be closer to my Aunt and Uncle. During her move many of her belongings were spread among the family. I received some furniture and a small box of items.

About a dozen of her lovely handkerchiefs were in that box. My mom said, "I gave these to you because I thought you might be able to use them in a quilt or with some other craft." I thought about what I wanted to do with them for a couple days. Then I got an idea that I love... make them into brooches!


I am fashioning them into some type of fabric flower and sticking  brooch backings on. I've decided to make one for each of her grand daughters. There are 7 of us, including myself. I've made four so far and love how they're turning out...


I can't wait to gift these to my cousins and my sister. I think they will hold a special place in their hearts...


13 comments:

Clay in the Potter's Hand said...

What a truly beautiful idea!!!

Alely said...

i'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. my grandfather had alzheimers too and yes it was so sad to see him go downhill but what a wonderful idea with what you've done with her handkerchiefs. your cousins will definitely cherish and adore them. that is so super sweet of you.

Critty said...

Those are absolutely beautiful Lauren. What a special way to hold her close to your heart :)

You are holding a special place in my heart right now after sharing about your Grandma. After losing my Memaw last year (and losing her many years before to dementia) this journey is hard and it hurts. So know someone who has walked this journey is praying for you and loving you!..<3

Allison said...

I loooove this idea! So creative and what a way for all of you to have a piece of her with you always.

Karen said...

What a clever idea to come out of a time of sadness. I just got home from a memorial service for my grandmother and I brought back one hankie that was hers. I may try your idea.

{amy} said...

What a wonderful idea! I know your sister & cousins will LOVE them! I have some quilt squares & stuff from my grandmother that were actually her grandmother's! I might have to do something like that for my aunts &/or cousins!

Future Mama said...

Those are so beautiful!!!

Much love,
Future Mama
http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

Rahel Redwine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rahel Redwine said...

Such a beautiful way to carry on your grandmother's accessories in a new way. Wonderful idea. Your cousins will be so blessed

danielle @ take heart said...

i love these, so beautiful and such sentiment!

G said...

Those are beautiful!

Blomgrens said...

What a beautiful way to honor your grandmother!

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh..how beautiful!!!! What precious gifts!