4.08.2011

{week in review: heaven bound}

This week was so so so good! I really had to think hard to come up with any lows because it was just that wonderful of a week! I hope it's okay to share more than one high because I'm going to! ;)

{high #1: Puppy Love!}
(puppy, Mareto, and Grandma)
My parents (who live only 15 minutes away) got a brand new puppy on Thursday. Their dog died from canine lukemia over the summer. We were all pretty heartbroken. I wasn't sure when they'd be ready to get a new dog, but just last weekend they said they were looking. They brought home an 8 week old golden retriever and Mareto and I got to be there for the puppy's homecoming! It was so fun and the puppy is so sweet. They're still working on a name for him. Mareto loved the puppy and gave lots of gentle pats. :)

{high #2: 1,000 gifts}
I received my copy of Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts in the mail this week. I started reading and immediately loved it. I went out today and got my journal. I've recorded 26 gifts so far and can already tell that it's making a difference in my daily attitude. :) 

{high #3: sweet sweet sleep}
Mareto has been a sleeping champ this week! He started sleeping for 6 straight hours after we put him down for the night on Monday. I actually checked on him a few times to make sure he was okay! With this new long stretch of sleep he was only waking up 3 times per night which is such an improvement from where we started. WELL, last night he only woke up twice!! AND he slept in until 8:30am... which meant we did too! I'm hoping this keeps up - it's so exciting to see this progress! 

{high #4 and my last one... promise: new blog}
I started a new blog this week. It's my place to record some of my 1,000 gifts and share more devotional style posts. I am really excited about it and I hope you will check it out. I've got a few posts up already. :)

{low: missing my Pap}
(Grammy and Pap at their 50th anniversary celebration)
When we were at my parents for the puppy excitement they gave me a small box of things to take home. My Grammy recently moved from her nursing home here to a better one in Illinois (near my aunt and uncle.) She has Alzheimer's and is going downhill rapidly. My parents had to keep all her nice/valuable things because she is losing everything. They've been giving them to the grandkids. My little box held a bunch of photos my Grammy kept with her, dozens of her gorgeous handkerchiefs, a card I wrote my Pap (who died 2 years ago), her nurses Bible that she kept with her when she worked at the hospital, and a couple gifts I made for them several years ago. I came home and laid everything out on the table. The photos were just too much and all the wonderful memories came flooding back. Times when my Grammy remembered things and Pap was still alive. Family reunions and holidays... and then the tears came and I couldn't turn them off for over an hour. My heart just ached for what is lost and the fact that they are now memories and we'll never have them here on earth again. I am, however, thankful that I will have a reunion with them in heaven.

{lesson learned: bound for heaven}

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ." Philippians 3:20

 It's okay to miss someone and grieve their death. We grieve not because all is lost forever, but because we miss them in this moment. But there is hope and we can smile because there in the future awaiting us is heaven. This is not the end. The most glorious beginning is just around the corner. There I will once again throw my arms around my Pap and hear the words, "I loves ya.


Filled With Praise

11 comments:

Alely said...

i just bought a copy of one thousand gifts yesterday. i haven't started yet but hope to start tomorrow.

happy weekend!
xo,
alely

Jennifer @ Studio JRU said...

Aww... the puppy is so cute! Ann's book is so wonderful. Writing down those gifts is really life changing! The photo of Mareto sleeping is *adorable*. Sorry to hear about your grammy, mine had alzheimer's as well. How special to have those things to keep close. I love the lesson learned... so, so true. :)

4 Blessings said...

Love all your wonderful moments from this week. I have to get that book. The pics are all adorable of your little man. He is so cute. Can't wait to meet him someday!

My heart goes out to you on your low. I know that it must be so hard. However, just as you stated...the most beautiful home is awaiting us in heaven.
Love ya,
Amy

Alicia said...

What a beautiful post. Full of fun and sentiment at the same time!! What a special gift you received that holds all those precious memories.

And look how cute your baby is! He looks so comfy!

kelli said...

My heart goes out to you. My grandpa had dementia/alzh. They are horrible diseases. I lost both my grandparents ten months of each other. But thankfully we have heaven! Amen =)

BARBIE said...

Cute new puppy! I have been reading Ann's book and it is changing my life. Your precious boy is adorable! Love your new blog!

Kim said...

That puppy is adorable! And of course, so is the sweet boy WITH the puppy!

I have that book sitting in my stack just waiting for me to crack it open.. I can't wait!

Alison said...

What a great week with lots of highs...and love that ya'll are getting more sleep! And what a great lesson learned!

Kristen Love said...

What a wonderful post :-) I will check out Ann's book. It doesn't get much better than babies and puppies here on earth, does it? Keeping you grandma in my prayers, too.
Love,
Kristen

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

mareto looks so sweet sleeping. i could eat him up! i know you must!!

i concur with your sentiments on death. i still miss my dad after 17 years!

Bonny said...

Thanks for following!
I am your newest follower.
Blog Hop Directory
More Than a Blog Hop Directory
:)