5.10.2011

{mother's day recap}

I had such a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. Saturday was spent doing yard work and accomplishing things around the house. That may sound boring to some but I loved every second of it! I felt so productive and satisfied at the end of the day.

(working on dessert and centerpieces for mother's day)

(John planted a cherry tree in our front yard)

Sunday morning I slept in until 8:30 and then got up to have coffee with my love. How did we accomplish this alone time? Well our sweet little muffin slept in until 9am! I came out to the kitchen to find a little gift bag and a letter from John. One thing to know about me is that I don't put many expectations on holidays and I put zero expectations into receiving gifts on holidays. This isn't because I don't love holidays or appreciate gifts, it's just because I don't really care about presents and they aren't nearly as important as spending time with the people I love. Honestly, if we are loving each other, having fun, and living life to the fullest each day of the year then what is there to get all worked up about on holidays? For me, they are just another day I get to spend with those I love most and another day to be thankful for the blessings in my life. So, with that in mind, I never ask for gifts on holidays and most of the time John and I choose not to get things for each other.

John and I DO love to surprise each other though, and my sweet husband learned the way to my heart long ago... write me a love letter. I'll take ten thousand love letters over presents any day. So, back to Mother's Day morning. I sat down on the couch with my gift bag and my letter. It was a full page long - front and back! I was of course crying by the end of the letter. I think I'll keep it between me and John. But trust me when I say it was wonderful. Then I opened my present and found a willow tree figurine. It was a woman seated and holding up a baby to her face. So special... we have a willow tree to represent each major family event in our lives. One of a couple for our first year of marriage. One for each of our babies in heaven, a twin set for our sweet foster twins, an angel for when my grandfather died, a man studying for our major life move to seminary, and now this figurine symbolizing a dream realized... a baby in my arms.

 (our first mother's day together)

The rest of the day was wonderful too - church - cookout with family - coffee and dessert out... but I want to leave you with a song that was sung during the special music portion of the service. It is one of my favorites, and after listening to it on Mother's Day there are many thoughts I'm working out that will hopefully turn into a post. In the meantime, enjoy the beautiful song "Blessings..."


17 comments:

4 Blessings said...

So glad you had a happy mother's day!
Blessings,
Amy

Elaine said...

So adorable :) Happy Mother's Day!

Kristin said...

I love that song and I love willow tree figurines too! I have a little collection of them too. I'm so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Michelle (michabella) said...

SO glad you had a wonderful first mothers day!!! Love that song. Thanks for sharing <3

Critty said...

My heart is happy you had such a lovely Mother's Day. :)

Jamie said...

what a very sweet mother's day....what a blessing :)
i love Willow Tree too... i'm slowly collecting the Nativity....and i love love letters, so personal and beautiful words to always cherish.....happy day to you!

Chris' Brooke said...

What a great first of MANY mother's day pictures.

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

sounds like a great day!!! blessings! happpy mothers day.

Kelly said...

So glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend! I was thinking about you and so happy that this year you have a baby in your arms! :)

Franchesca said...

I was just listening to those words last Saturday, I look forward to reading your thought on them :) It's a beautiful, heartbreaking song. I'm so glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day weekend Lauren ♥

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

i am so glad you had such a wonderful day with your sweet boy. that song brought me to tears the first time i heard it.

Darla said...

loved that song Ben sang, but I had never heard it before (lol! I know, I don't really listen to christian comtemp.), so thanks for finding it online for me. GREAT song! Glad you had a happy mothers day, even though you've been a mommy for a while, it's a little more special when you have a baby in your arms to cuddle!

twolittletots said...

happy belated mother's day! so happy to hear it was wonderful! and i love your outlook on life...and no gifts! that is so wonderful!

{amy} said...

I love this song! The first time I heard it, I felt like it was written for me! <3

LORIENDEVON said...

I cry for a different reason every time I hear that song, which is often around our house lately. I can't really explain it, but the words are just so powerful. Glad you had a wonderful mommy's day, friend.

Kelly said...

What a sweet Mother's day for you...It is so great to see pictures of you son home. I remember reading your blog when i ordered headbands for my girls and you hadn't received a referral yet. You look so happy in all your photos!!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Your Mother's Day sound wonderful! I love getting letter too. My husband will leave me notes every now and then. They make my day.

JDaniel and I went to hear Laura Storey in an ice cream/ coffe shop a few weeks ago.