5.22.2011

{traumatic weekend}

My grand plans of getting back into the swing of things have been interrupted by the not so fun side of life. I don't really feel like sharing the whole story, and don't know if I ever will, but here's the short version:

Thurs night we went to the ER with Mareto who was running a very high fever, but otherwise seemed okay. After about 4 hours they sent us home saying he was fine and maybe had a virus or was teething.

Friday morning he woke up with a fever of 105.3 so we gave him tylenol and monitored him for 2 hours. He wouldn't eat and had bad diarrhea. At noon his fever was 105.6 so we called the pediatrician who told us to pack him with ice and get to the ER as fast as possible.

We spent 8 hours in the ER while they tried NINE times to get an IV line in, blew two veins in the process, inserted one catheter (which failed because he was so dehydrated), gave 3 suppositories, drew blood, and gave one shot in the bottom. We were then transported by ambulance to another hospital to spend hours there. Urine and blood tests showed a UTI and possible kidney infection. 

We were finally discharged about 1am Saturday. Since then he has only been able to keep down pedialyte, has gone back to get another shot in the rear, and his fever is hovering right between 104-105 in between doses of motrin and tylenol. Sleep has been very restless, and he is just downright miserable. 

We go back to the doctor on Tuesday and hope to have more detailed test results then. I won't go into the details of what went on in the 13+ hours spent at both hospitals because I don't want to think about it and I am trying my hardest to forget it. Words just can't describe how awful and traumatic the whole experience was and still is. 

Right now we are just thankful to be home. So, that's where I've been and I'll be absent from the blog until I've nursed my little boy back to 100% health. Thank you for understanding!

32 comments:

Critty said...

Praying lots for your sweet Mareto! And for you and John. I cannot even imagine how hard this is for you two...and that poor baby so sick.

Sending lots of love and many, many prayers your way.

al said...

Definitely praying for your sweet family!

angie @ the cellar door stories said...

oh no, what a terrible thing for the 3 of you to have to go through!!! it is so hard to see our children sick!! praying for you all!!!!

4 Blessings said...

Oh Lauren! We will be praying for Mareto as well as you and John.

Love,
Amy

sarahabel said...

I read this as I'm nursing my 3 month old. I couldn't imagine going through what you did. I'm praying right now for the Holy Spirit to bring healing to his body. Jesus bring the fever down. I pray against infection. Let him rest tonight. Fill their home with peace. I pray against any feat they may have. Give them all rest.

Jamie said...

oh my goodness! i am so sorry, i'll be praying for Mareto and your family!!! for reduced fever, health, rest, and comfort....sending love and hugs

twolittletots said...

Praying for you all. I hope your little boy is feeling better soon and you all can put this behind you. Sending you lots of prayers

Alison said...

Oh, Lauren, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine watching one of my children be that sick! I will be praying for Mareto to get better very soon!

John and Shannon said...

So sorry to hear that your little one is not feeling well. I pray that God heals him quickly and the doctors find their solution just as quickly to get him on the speedy road to recovery. Pray that you're able to get some rest as well. It's hard to be an exhausted Mommy and your baby is miserable. Lots of hugs and love to you!!

Angela Hunt said...

Lauren, I am praying for 100% healing for Mareto and for comfort and peace from our Heavenly Father for all of you.

Kristin said...

Praying for you and your sweet Mareto. I am so glad that he has his Mommy and Daddy to take care of him and I'm praying for him to get well and feel much better soon!

Jessica said...

Praying for your little guy!

Corinne said...

Praying for you all... for your sweet boy to feel better! Hope you all get some rest tonight!

G said...

Lauren, I'm so sorry. That all sounds really horrible and scary. Please know that as you've popped into my mind, I've been praying for you all. Hoping that he is feeling better VERY soon!
~Gini

laura said...

How awful and scary! Please know that your friends all over the country are thinking and praying for your family.

Brittany said...

I am praying for you all. I am so sorry you are going through this.

JillAileenJones said...

Praying for you all. So sorry to hear this. The only down side to being a parent is seeing your little ones suffer and not be able to do much to help. Praying for answers and clarity and Dr.'s that will know what to do for your sweet baby. So sorry that he is feeling so bad and his fever is so high. That is scary for me-I hate high fevers.
Praying he is well soon.

Kim said...

Oh my goodness, how horrible :O(. I will be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelly said...

Praying for y'all!!

Chris' Brooke said...

My heart breaks over your traumatic weekend. Keeping you all in prayer.

BARBIE said...

Lauren, I am so sorry for all you and Mareto have been through. I am asking the Great Physician to bring healing and reduce His fever now in Jesus' Name. Peace and rest to you both, to your entire family.

Monika said...

Oh, I´m with you in my heart! Praying for your family, for good health!!!

Chelsie Denson said...

Oh dear! What a weekend. I am definitely praying .

Lisa said...

Ditto what everyone else has said, and PRAYING (as soon as I click publish)! Lisa

Kate said...

Oh Lauren, I am so sorry! Praying for you all!!

Kristin P said...

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers!

Rachel M. said...

I pray that Mareto feels better soon!

My little sister who is also adopted had somewhat similar problems, but not as serious symptoms as Mareto. My parents had to take her in yesterday, because she was crying a lot and complaining (restless, kept crying) and didn't eat as much and had diarreha. On Saturday, she was quite warm on her tummy and forehead. The doctor thought it was just teething.

So, I do pray that our heavenly Father will completely remove what is going on in your dear son's body!
Blessings,
Rachel

Blomgrens said...

I can't even imagine what your weekend was like, I'm so sorry! I will be praying for you and Mareto of course for healing emotionally and physically.

{amy} said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this! Y'all are in my prayers!

kelli said...

Praying for wisdom for the drs and nurses and healing for your lil guy. Praying for comfort and peace for you and your hubby. So sorry for the rough weekend. I pray all is well asap!

Desiree said...

Oh my goodness.... Praying for you and your sweet little boy. I hope he is feeling better soon.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

What an experience! All those hours in the ER would have been tough.